Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eclipse pic query

rustyjames

my wife took a few snaps of the sky with her iphone because she liked the cloud around the eclipse,in a couple of the snaps there is a bright crescent shape below and to the left of the main event,is this likely to be Venus? I would post pic but don't know how

A mate of mine text me a similar pic earlier asking the same question. His pic looked like lens flare but the lens flare showed the eclipsed sun, whereas in his pic the sun itself was too bright to see the eclipse happening. So without seeing your pic i'd say its probably lens flare

Edit: You posted the pic as I was replying, looks like what he showed me too but pretty cool the lens flare shows the eclipsed sun rather than the sun itself

Venus wouldn't have shown up as anything but star like I'm afraid.

Even if the sky was dim enough for the planet to be seen, although I know it can be very bright

in the Dawn, or Evening Sky.

A phone camera doesn't have the resolution, or magnification to show any phase the planet may be at.

Ron.

Ditto, and without wanting to gloat, we had crystal clear sky, so nothing to do with cloud cover.

With us, the main image was too bright for taking an image directly anyway, but the reflection showed up as a rather good eclipse!

Archived