Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST CaK

Joves

Hi all,

Does anyone here have much experience with this little entry level Calcium K scope?

I know it is used primarily (solely for some) as a photographic piece of kit, has a limited aperture and produces a very dark image visually at best, but I've just managed to pick one up second hand for a reasonable price.

Any thoughts/comments from those who have looked through one would be of interest.

Cheers,

Aaron

They seem to be quite uncommon.  If I were to try to count the number of people I can think of who have posted images from a CaK PST I'm not sure I'd get as far as three :)  Could be worth searching the imaging groups for some combination of "CaK" and "PST".

James

A key issue is that not only has the eye difficulty seeing the CaK line at all (393nm), but even if your eyes are you enough to see it, the eyes can generally not focus on it (like those annoying blacklight tubes). Another worry might be the transmission of near UV, which could damage your eyes in the long term. I would certainly just use a scope like that for imaging (or video astronomy)

The reason that PST CaK and Cak diagonals are not so popular is due to the fact that they are almost exclusively an imaging tool. Unless you are under the age of 10 or so, your eyes are not sensitive to the near ultra-violet light.

Coronado did not manufacture many PST CaK, not sure of the exact number.

I think Montana(SGL) has one. Quite a few people purchase a Cak diagonal :- https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/Lunt_Ca-K_Module_with_B600_.html

More on the diagonals here:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/229499-cak-and-ha-solar-shots-10-november/

You can see quite a few Cak images on this site: http://solarchat.natca.net/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=4d3949374fea2cff2a82e171482028fb

Ian

I was looking for one too, but before I found one I got a bargain on Lunt LS60T B600 CaK :) Some dark blue image is visible, nice and sharp even, although I didn't got a good day for imaging yet (needs to be weekend).

I does CaK with a lunt b600. The CaK pst quality can be patchy, possible filter coating issues and astigmatism from floppy prisms. Both are fixable... Mark townley is the man for that. Forget visual with CaK...only for imaging, but I find the CaK image more interesting and there is usually something to see. Tried a bloke with fixed cataracts once... Still couldn't see anything.

I one that te camera can see more in halpha and CaK... Though for fine detail i prefer my wedge.

Cheers

PeterW

Archived