Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging - what am I getting myself into? Couple Q's

Start with where you are. The zoom isn't as good as....fill in the blanks, but what's the harm with trying it? For avoiding star trails on a tripod, divide400 by the FL of lens. Some say 500, but I find 400 is usually good. So 20 secs and stop down one. ISO 3200 for a try, and use dark frames to help with the noise you will get.

As far as using subs (again I have no idea what I'm doing), is it just taking X amount of pictures in a row, and loading them up and merging them? What kind of software would one use for that? I went out and took a bunch of 30" pics of Jupiter/the moon, and well I was actually impressed with how much MORE stars were visible than the naked eye. The moon looked awful, Jupiter looked like a star but there were a lot of stars behind it as well. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very easy to run out and spend a shed load of cash, I know as that happened to me. :grin:

Spend time researching, by all means experiment with what you have.

If you get a buzz out of AP you can progress to the next level or if cash is no limit dive in and get the best gear.

With your camera and lens set a relatively high iso like 1600 or 3200 and take 10 to 30second shots.

Your will need a steady tripod or fix the camera to something solid.

Set the self timer to at least 2 seconds and enable mirror lockup, if you have no cable release.

Focusing is hard, try it on something in the distance.

Then just practice taking pics of constellations

Here is one I did last November of Ursa Minor and Draco, there was a full moon and local LP.

This is just one 10sec shot with a Canon 600D and a Sigma 17-50mm lens.

ursaminor.jpg

It's very easy to run out and spend a shed load of cash, I know as that happened to me. :grin:

Spend time researching, by all means experiment with what you have.

If you get a buzz out of AP you can progress to the next level or if cash is no limit dive in and get the best gear.

With your camera and lens set a relatively high iso like 1600 or 3200 and take 10 to 30second shots.

Your will need a steady tripod or fix the camera to something solid.

Set the self timer to at least 2 seconds and enable mirror lockup, if you have no cable release.

Focusing is hard, try it on something in the distance.

Then just practice taking pics of constellations

Here is one I did last November of Ursa Minor and Draco, there was a full moon and local LP.

This is just one 10sec shot with a Canon 600D and a Sigma 17-50mm lens.

ursaminor.jpg

Pics on your website are beautiful. Are those all taken using camera lenses? (as opposed to a telescope)

There's some great images out there taken with a DSLR, but from what I understand they do benefit from fast optics. The advise so far is good, the book 'Making Every Photon Count' is an imagers bible. Read it once.... twice..... and thrice...... then have a think about what you want to buy and why .......... then read it again!!! From that point on you will understand just why you need what you do.

A camera lens will take some great pictures - Have a look at StuartJPP (http://stargazerslounge.com/user/27141-stuartjpp/) - He uses a lens and a DSLR, although his is modded, so it will be more sensitive. 

Best of all, enjoy it and experiment - That's what it's all about :)

Get the book everyone is recommending - it's really good. And also - don't board the paranoia train :) You don't need 10000£ equipment to begin with, and sometimes you can get a feeling you actually do. Start slow, experiment with what you already have etc. - it's supposed to be a hobby that gives you good times, not grey hair ;)

PS. And read the book! :)

Pics on your website are beautiful. Are those all taken using camera lenses? (as opposed to a telescope)

All of those images on my site are taken with a Canon 60Da, two lenses and one scope.

The scope is a Borg 67mm FL and is 255mm focal length @f/3.8.

The two lenses are a Canon EF 200mm L and a Sigma 105mm Macro lens, normally use these @ f/4.

I particularly like the FOV of the Sigma 105, the stars are not perfect around the edge but you cannot have everything.

I have LP and can normally do between 5 and 10 minute exposures depending on how bright the sky is.

BTW

I have been into AP for nearly 2 years now and still learning, processing is another story. :grin:

Get a download of Deep Sky Stacker. It's free. The help file on lower left of main page pretty much covers the use.

Take your shots in RAW. A stack of 30 x 10 second subs in RAW with darks applied will show a lot at 18mm.

Great thanks, and to everyone else as well. 

First venture of 30x10"s was a flunk - guess it helps to actually FOCUS the lens before I take 30 pictures. 

Lesson learned! 

Have a good go with the DSLR before getting any funny ideas of  " spending money will get you results ". This game is very different from daytime point and shoot photography and a lot of knowledge, dedication , planning and by no small measure expensive equipment  is needed to collect data for processing which is another topic worthy of a few books. By all means ask questions and do a lot of research before committing yourself to this crazy and expensive hobby. You asked a question as to why so many subs are needed so have a read of the attached link which demonstrates the point very clearly as it uses real DSO images.http://www.dens-astropics.org.uk/page%2035.htm

Regards,

A.G

ISO for me is down to how much local light pollution there is, I also bought a 2" light pollution filter to use with step down rings on my camera lens and have built a barn door tracker to get longer exdposures manually and cheaply to see if I like doing imaging first.

I also have a plastic flower pot I place around the lens to stop glare and dew.

Well in my defense it was 3:30 AM when I forgot to focus the pictures. Could not sleep last night for some reason, luckily it's Saturday! I think at 10" I was looking at 5 f/stop with 1600 ISO. The problem HERE is that the Big Dipper is barely noticeable with the naked eye, so I definitely have some work to do. I forgot to re-focus the camera ON the dipper [my target] so it was a bunch of blurry haloes, and the stacker program would have none of that! I'll try it again tonight.

I won't spend any money on this for a few months, just another thing to get excited about. Luckily a stop down filter and light pollution filter are probably cheap I'm assuming. I have a remote clicker for the camera, and a nice tri-pod, I'm sure I can get better results. 

ISO for me is down to how much local light pollution there is, I also bought a 2" light pollution filter to use with step down rings on my camera lens and have built a barn door tracker to get longer exdposures manually and cheaply to see if I like doing imaging first.

I also have a plastic flower pot I place around the lens to stop glare and dew.

Home made barn door tracker? Luckily dew isn't too bad here, nights are about 50 F.

I'm intrigued.

Just remember you don't need to guy everything at once. Get a good mount, then a good scope, the build from there. If your spending the money you suggest in the 120ed, consider a smaller triplet. Also, planetary would be better done with an SCT or Make with a longer focal length.

I only have an unmodified Canon 450D DSLR camera on a static mount with an 18-200mm lens plus red dot finder and timer / intervalometer but even as a beginner I am still getting some great images which are helping me learn about astro imaging without having to invest thousands in cash buying expensive kit.

Start small with what you can afford, learn some skills, purchase more kit as and when you can afford it i.e. a tracking mount for longer exposures. Astro imaging is for everyone who is willing to put the effort in, not just those with lots of cash.

I only have an unmodified Canon 450D DSLR camera on a static mount with an 18-200mm lens plus red dot finder and timer / intervalometer but even as a beginner I am still getting some great images which are helping me learn about astro imaging without having to invest thousands in cash buying expensive kit.

Start small with what you can afford, learn some skills, purchase more kit as and when you can afford it i.e. a tracking mount for longer exposures. Astro imaging is for everyone who is willing to put the effort in, not just those with lots of cash.

Got any examples of your work? Curious what 'beginner' stuff might look like (to help manage my own expectations). I'll definitely take this hobby slow, as I don't have much cash, but a lot of time and interest. 

Archived