Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lumicon UHC Filter 2"

Good morning ladies & gents,

I have a 1.25" Orion Ultrablock Narrowband filter - which in all honesty doesn't get that much use - not too keen on the green on some DSO's.  Although does make it easier to find them in the first place!

Now I'm looking at getting the Lumicon UHC Filter 2" or would another Orion Ultrablock Narrowband Filter 2" be better suited as I live in a small town (with street lights) where I do most of my observing and only occasionally do I go to Wimbleball lake (a nearby dark sky site in the UK).

Thanks in advance.

The Lumicon UHC is very highly regarded, but the Orion Ultrablock is as well, so if it were me, I wouldn't worry which I had.

The 2" versions of these work the same way as the 1.25" ones, except of course the 2" fits 2" eyepieces, like the ES 28mm in your equipment list.

All of these nebula filters work better on some deep sky objects than others, so if there's not much improvement on one target, another object may show some, or perhaps dramatic improvement.

If you live in a small town in Somerset, then rejoice, even if you do have a few streetlights :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Hi Spoony, I would recommend the Lumicon UHC filter, a great versatile filter in my opinion.  You can also use 2" filters with 1.25" ep's, you just need to screw it onto a 2" to 1.25" adaptor and use it that way.  All my filters are 2" but I used to have both before the penny dropped!

I have the Lumicon 2 inch Deep Sky filter which according to the write-ups is more for a place with some light polution though are regarded to work best in dark sites. I am going to order a Lumicon or Astronomik UHC next month ( spent enough this month), I think which you choose is not an issue.

I am very impressed with the views the Deep Sky Filter offers, it makes nebulae easier to see but I can't really see that is shows more but I am still making tests.

Alan

I cannot talk about the lumicon, but I have the astronomik and they are excellent filters. 

In my limited experience, I found that an UHC works better under a dark sky, compared to the OIII which works nicely also under light polluted skies. 

However, at least with my set up, I found that the UHC can work really well under light polluted sky if I decrease the exit pupil. 

Filters are quite interesting.. you need to try a few combination (filter+ep) and on different objects for learning how/when to use them.

Piero

You might look into whether or not the objects you are looking at could be better viewed using a different type of filter, rather than just a different brand. Here's a link to the best articles detailing what filters perform the best on numerous DSO's:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/?s=Filter

Take a look at them all. It's an excellent site. I have one of these articles on my wall.

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave - a confirmed Filter-Nut.

Dave,

Thanks for that link I have book marked it, I used to have it but have just changed computer. This is a rather expensive option but a little less than a top quality filter, The Deep Sky Atlas from Cambridge Press gives some excellent information on filter use on a object by object basis, if you have a spare 70 quid it is money well spent in my books, pun intended.

It is very much a if you saw it you would want one atlas :evil: .

Alan

Those articles by David Knisely are very useful in understanding and selecting filters :smiley:

I've never quite understood why he  didn't mention the Astronomik O-III filter as that one is a cracking tool I reckon. I currently have the Lumicon O-III and the Omega DGM NBP filters which are David's "picks" in the UHC and O-III catergories and early indications are very favourable  :smiley:

Though I have an Astronomik 2 inch I think I am going to keep an eye open for the same in the Lumicon just to see if there is a difference, on the Viel Nebula the Astronomik is superb. I have to say that until I got the Deep Sky atlas I didn't know how many other targets benifit from OIII filters, even saw some of the Rosette nebula the other night though not strongly. The thing I like about the OIII I have is you can still see background stars well.

Alan

Archived