NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light - Orion Optics VX10L

Stu

I've been waiting to try this out for a few weeks now after picking it up from Mike. It was stored at my parents whilst I sorted some space for it, I brought it home yesterday and it fits snuggly alongside its big brother, effectively a VX12L.

The scope is an Orion Optics VX10L, f6.3 with 1/10th pv optics on an OD mount. It has a Moonlite dual speed focuser fitted.

The forecast for tonight was excellent. Unfortunately it was out by a few hours, so the cloud didn't clear til later on, after 10pm really. I'd been hoping for a shot at GRS but no luck. Still, the moon and shadow transit promised to be worth a look.

The VX10L is a lovely scope, and sits very solidly on the OD mount. It is much lighter than the 12", a simple pick up and carry down the garden in one go, so I can already see that although it may lack the ultimate performance of the 12", it will get far more regular use.

After putting it out to cool, I collimated it using a Hotech laser. Despite the numerous journeys and a few bumps getting it into and out of the car, the secondary still looked bang on, and the primary just needed a small tweak.

Because of where the cloud was, this turned into a rather singular focused session ie I just looked at Jupiter!! Using the Leica Zoom, and later on when the seeing settled a little, I PowerMated it (2x), so I was using mags from x88 up to x354. In reality I stuck to from around x177 up to x260.

I've got to say the views were stunning, some of the best I've had in a long time. The seeing wasn't perfect by any means, but when it stabilized the detail was fantastic, including some nice stuff in the both polar regions.

I watched Io start its transit, and was able to follow it over the disk for some way before losing it. It really looked like a tiny sphere when visible over the surface, very nice.

The shadow transit followed, and this again was lovely, jet black and very sharp when the seeing stabilized.

On axis, the Leica performs brilliantly. Off axis it starts to weaken a bit, but with the EQ platform this won't be an issue. I also noticed very clear evidence of tube currents caused by my hand when I was nudging the scope. The image took quite a few seconds to stabilize after each nudge. I tried moving it by using either the Focuser or Telrad (eek), which seemed to help but is not a great solution.

Lastly I tried the Televue Planetary filter. I did not see any evidence of the 'bubble gum pink' halo around the planet, but did notice that when the seeing was poor, or when there were tube currents present I was getting red and green fringing around the limb. I did struggle with this, but it got better as the night passed and things stabilized. At the end I was pretty pleased with the views.

The benefits as far as I am concerned were virtual elimination of diffraction spikes from Jupiter, and a pleasing colour cast to it, with perceived improved contrast ie darker, richer cloud bands.

The negatives were the green and red fringing, that is about it. I would say that I don't think I could see anything with the filter that I couldn't see without it, but the view was certainly nice.

So, in summary, a cracking, well sorted scope with optics which are clearly of a high standard. I still don't like diffraction spikes, and find the star images less pleasing than in my refractors, but the planetary (and presumed Lunar) resolution is fantastic. I'm sure for smaller brighter DSO's it will work well too.

It is easy to carry, and appears to hold collimation well. Coma did not seem to feature at all, I suppose no surprise at f6.3. The only thing which needs sorting really is the balance, I had to improvise a weight to keep it bottom heavy or at least in balance.

Very happy with the scope, and looking forward to plenty more sessions.

Stu

Great report Stu and really good to see that you finally got time with the TV filter, I still can't make up my mind about this.  The VX10 is one that I would like as well for the EQ mount but when I get the Sumerian then I may well change my mind as one does.

Alan

Lovely report. Orion Optics certainly make user friendly scopes that give super views.

Observer induced tube currents can be a pain, especially if there's good seeing. We're getting better results before midnight just now.

Interesting to hear of the results of the Tv planetary filter. Hope that you get some more super views,

Nick.

very nice Stu.How is the seeing conditions been recently in your area? I was out the other day but despite its being clear,views where not the best.

Last night it was actually not bad after around 11.30pm. There were plenty of moments when it was really sharp and the detail lovely

Nice report stu, OO scopes are great to use. I was out earlier last night until about 9.30 when it clouded up, and thought the conditions were quite poor here.

Whereabouts are you Richard?

It was supposed to be clear all evening here, but was cloudy until around 10 ish, conditions got better later on, then tailed off after midnight

Excellent report Stu :smiley:

Your 10" OO experiences seem to mirror mine with my 12" includeing the balance. I don't see diffraction spikes though because of my curved secondary vanes. And I still prefer to view binary stars with my ED120 because of the tighter, almost text-book like star images that the refractor gives. 

Very interesting to note your comments on the Leica zoom in the 10" F/6.3 as well :smiley:

Hi Rusty,

There are plenty of planetarium programs and apps which show the Galilean moons (plus plenty more).

Stellarium is a very good free one for PC, JupiterMoons is excellent for iOS, as is SkySafari which I use. This snapshot is from SkySafari and shows Io and its shadow crossing Jupiter.

813c78a14ecb1e07570b6ecaa52065a2.jpg

Stu

The VX10L is out again tonight. Collimation spot on, and lovely views of the Trapezium with both E and F stars very clear. I must admit probably my best ever views of it, particularly the F star which I always find harder.

Jupiter after tea :-)

Cracking report Stu and another fine scope in the stable. The 10L is the one I would get - if I could fit the xtra 300mm in the obs! Enjoy :-)

Cheers Jake. It was something of an impulse buy, but is turning out to be a corker. Lovely views, and still practical size wise. A much lighter lift too!

• 3 years later...
24 minutes ago, 25585 said:

@StuI guess you no longer have this scope, not listed in your signature. If you can remember, did you think having a F6 made a difference?

Never had an f5 to compare with so I genuinely don’t know. Coma was no problem at f6, I suspect it would be at f5 if that so of thing bothers you.

Archived