Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ceres Coming into View

Wowsers!

I can't wait to see the data and close up pics of Ceres - This year is going to be an amazing year for probes! Dawn, New Horizons, the ongoing Rosetta mission and (hopefully) a resurrected Philae lander at some point.

The stuff from Vesta is fascinating, that body really took a pounding. What secrets does Ceres hold for us I wonder?

Is it me, or at the end of this gif, there appear to be what look like Maria (probably not volcanic) in a crater directly pointing at the camera...?

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning images. I still cant bring myself to think of it as a dwarf planet or even a Plutoid. Its clearly not an asteroid either (as i like to think of it as being). If anything i would compare it to a planetary Moon, much like out own (except it isnt orbiting any planet).

... Its clearly not an asteroid either (as i like to think of it as being)...

It's definitely still an asteroid. Just because we now know what it looks like... Not unlike Vesta actually, another definite asteroid :) I know what you mean though, definitely moon like. I suspect Pluto will also look moon like. All super exciting though. Cannot wait.

Archived