Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder scope

There are a few types of finders around, try the angled ones, usually RA finder. Some will deliver a correct image - no inversion in one direction or another.

One of the other designs I cannot get along with, but many like.

So not all finders may suit you. It is a bit of trial and error I am afraid.

When you get to my age bending down/stooping to see through a finder is no fun. Right angle finders are the way to go. Don't know why they are not standard issue with scopes.

I have 3 one for each scope. The only scope I dont have one for is my solar setup, but you dont look through that just view the sun on a screen .I wouldn't be without them.

Have have both a right angled finder and a red dot finder on my Dob, the red dot still needs a few contortions sometimes but nowhere near a straight through finder. It's good enough to easily find your target in the right angle finder and from there in the main scope, and yes, personally I would recommend the right angle finder.

Oh yes - go for the 9X - 50mm RACI (Right Angle Correct Image) one. I use that on my 8-inch Newtonian. Much better than "Yoga" while trying to focus your attention on what's in the eyepiece, rather than where you left the aspirin bottle. Mine is from Orion and it works great.

Clear Skies,

Dave

SacRiker ,

On an 8se both would fit, though with the vixen dovetail on the side I guess one of the two would have to be mounted underneath (laser pointer). I have a celestron RAC with quick release on my C6 SCt and an additional finder bracket for the autoguider.

Another vote for the 8x50 RACI illuminated, if you can stretch to it with the finances, if you havn`t a goto system, using star maps is that lot easier, you see what you read. A Telrad or similar clear view red dot finder, would complete an excellent setup for star hopping :)

Archived