SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter Triple Shadow Transit - 24.01.15

Droogie 2001

Here is my first effort on the triple moon transit of Jupiter from this morning (24.1.15)

Conditions were clear but it was windy and Jupiter was low down so the atmosphere was causing lots of distortion.

Have not had time to label the image so from left to right:

Io's shadow, Io not visible on image, Callistos Shadow, Callisto Moon, Above Callisto is Europa's Shadow, off to the right of Jupiter is Europa itself.

Visually I could see Io's shadow, Europa shadow and Europa.

Struggled to see all three shadows simultaneously but it was worth getting up early for.

post-31255-0-56092500-1422089046.jpg

Great to see someone managed to capture the triple transit, really well done! :eek:  :smiley:

I tried 3 different sites over 2 hours with a couple of other folks in my observing group but in the end we were beaten by the wind and seeing conditions. We did manage to spot two of the shadows visually (Callisto and Io) but the conditions made the third impossible. Imaging unfortunately was also impossible from where we were, I would have loved to have captured an image with my DFK. Never mind, it's great to see yours instead!! 

Archived