Comet Lovejoy

A two panel mosaic Comet Lovejoy Q2 imaged on January 16 2015  Exposures were LRGB 300s in each channel total 40mins. Processing was a challenge its still a little noisy but I did push it to the max to show those striations in the tail.

thanks for looking

Cheers

Peter

post-4526-0-02587700-1421526163_thumb.jp

thanks everyone

Great work Peter.

Just wondering how you got the stars to be stars and not trails if you did LRGB, was this the processing challenge you mentioned?

Carole 

The fact it was a mosaic made it even more so....I found myself several times getting in a mess. Each frame had to be aligned the stars comet separated  the panels had to be joined then the completed comet put back onto the stars. This had to be done in each channel and colour balanced. It moved a fair old distance in 40mins.

Lovely image Peter, wish I could prise a better tail out of my data, god knows how you did a mosaic.

Had enough trouble with a single pane, but at least I don't feel so bad about my mottley overstretched background now :)

Dave

Lovely image Peter, wish I could prise a better tail out of my data, god knows how you did a mosaic.

Had enough trouble with a single pane, but at least I don't feel so bad about my mottley overstretched background now :)

Dave

Hi Dave yep the fact it was a mosaic really did complicate things... a lot of the noise does come through the process of removing the stars but probably acceptable for the amount of sub exposure time. Doing a luminance for the comet helped but I also added all the rgb data to the luminance frames too.....I always bin at 1x1 for everything simply for that reason.

Archived