Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ST80 Focuser upgrade

Just installed a TS Monorail on my ST102. My other scopes were "spoiling" me? :)

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3945_MONORAIL-2--Refractor-focuser---e-g--for-Skywatcher-96mm-flange.html

I sense it's a bit overkill, but these are a great focusser that serves well on both my

MAK150 AND 8" "PhotoNewt" AND are compatible with (my) Rigel electric focussers. 

There is one for the ST80 too (I think it is this one, but checking is advised!):

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3946_MONORAIL-2--Refractor-focuser---e-g--for-86mm-flange.html

I sense only you can decide on the "worth" of things, in light of experience / budget.

Every time I upgrade my stuff, I read a negative review re. my "budget" scopes. :D

I have a vague notion that quite a few scopes share a common OTA diameter.

Maybe a new focusser can be (stagewise) route to greater things...

One day, buy an APO, and re-use your upgrade focusser. ;)

Hi,

I upgraded mine with a single speed one from Teleskop Service, I have attached a pic of it, it works superbly, although I sold it last week as I upgraded to a William Optics ZS66SD.

post-39765-0-52954000-1421492907_thumb.j

post-39765-0-00420700-1421492928.jpg

Regards

SS

To be honest I wanted a good grab and go setup for deep sky. I had a ST80 in the past and know how good a little scope it is also it is very light and im hoping not to have to use a bigger mount then the EQ1. I do not have any 2" eye peices so even with an upgraded focuser I think I should still be OK with the EQ1. Idealy I would like an ED80 but that would need a bigger mount.

Hi Mark,

I take it your not happy with the stock R&P focuser on your ST80 because of the amount of play when racking the tube in and out. I was also considering replacing the existing R&P focuser on my Celestron 102 WT refractor with a Crayford, but it would cost at least as much as the scope is worth. I've also read various reviews that the cheaper Crayfords can slip, particularly when heavier loads are applied.

With this in mind I've decided I've nothing to lose by tweeking my existing focuser to drastically reduce the amount of play (this is my project for next week). You might want to consider this before replacing yours There are some posts on SGL on how to do this and other forums such as Astronomy Shed. Have a look at this post on the Cloudy Nights forum and it gives an idea what can be done:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/320864-improving-a-standard-rp-focuser/#entry4112143

Cheers, Bob

I have an old ED100 which I replaced the focuser on to good result. As its only going to be used as a visual scope im not worried about putting too much weight on it. Im more concerned about image shift and all the problems that brings

• 1 year later...

I'd be interested in how it went as I've just been through some of the steps in AstronomyShed's video to improve the ST80 which, bar flocking, are free, and it made a great improvement to the stock focuser.

It is worth investing some time and effort into an ST80. I blackend and shimmined the lens, flocked the tube worked on the focuser and it became a great scope. The best views I ever had was with a TV 32mm and the ST80 in the canary islands. Not only how good the skies there can be but also how good an ST80 is as a travel scope.

• 1 month later...

Its only when you take things apart where you notice some of the bad workmanship, I had a SW ST80 before which was a great scope but sold it on, regretfully.

The new SW ST80 I bought was not as good I could not get the finder aligned to the main scope. and the images where not as good neither, Although I put some of that down the the local Cancel putting up white street lights :dontknow: Also image shifting while focusing was bad too.  Hence the reason to put a new focuser on this scope.  On changing the focuser I noticed the SW focuers mounting screw holes where not drill in quite in the right places so the focuser was at a slight angle. Putting the collimation out and the reason for me not been able to get the finder in the right place.

The only problem I can find with this setup is the extra weight of the focuser makes balancing the ST80 on a EQ1 mount impossible and looks like I will need to make some sort of plate to off set the scope a little. Other then that its a joy to use and CA is reduced stars are now the correct shape  and the background is much darker.

Interesting thread, as I'm considering a Crayford for my ST120.  I managed to adjust the two tiny screws a little and re-greased the R&P, which removed some of the slack, but the motion is still a bit "jerky".

Only problem is that the Crayfords I've seen don't have a foot for a finder/RDF.  

Is this always the case, and what have others done to resolve this?

(I hope this is not diverting the thread too far from its original theme!)

Doug.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

Interesting thread, as I'm considering a Crayford for my ST120.  I managed to adjust the two tiny screws a little and re-greased the R&P, which removed some of the slack, but the motion is still a bit "jerky".

Only problem is that the Crayfords I've seen don't have a foot for a finder/RDF.  

Is this always the case, and what have others done to resolve this?

(I hope this is not diverting the thread too far from its original theme!)

Doug.

There is two screw holes on either side of the focuser. If you remove the screw you can use it to fit a finderscope bracket. If you have a look at SkySurfer s pictures you can see the screw.

Archived