Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laptop Upgrade

Singlin

My 12 year old Windows Xp converted to Windows 7 pc is showing signs of age.

I would like to upgrade to a Windows 7 run laptop.

I have been looking at the following used laptop.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/HP-Elitebook-8760w-i7-2620M-2x2-70Ghz-17-3-8GB-320GB-Quadro-3000M-WIN7-2-/161539846760?pt=DE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger%C3%A4te_Notebooks&hash=item259c867268

If windows 8.1 does not pose any problems with our software and hardware requirements then for the same price I could get a modern laptop.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Singlin,

I was in a similar position to you, 12 - 15 yr old Dell laptop running XP. I went for a Thinkpad T410 from here:-http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad-t410-core-i5-laptop-computer/

They are also on the Bay:-http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bargain-hardware-store/Laptops-Tablets-/_i.html?_fsub=3408251010&_sid=121231090&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Very happy withthe service and the product. The battery is still very servicable as it holds a good charge. It has 4 off USB porst which is a big bonus for me. I used their own site to pay for it and was able to collect it from their premises.

Ian

Yesterday I had the misfortune to get called out by my plumber in order to bail him out with his new business computer running Win 8.1

I found the architecture to be completely counter productive with nothing behaving as I would have expected it to, a stupid system of 'hover mouse' over a corner in order to play hide n seek with a bizzare menu that left me baffled as to how anyone could think this was an improvement.

Why would I naturally think that I needed to type an object into a 'search box' in order to find it, whereas in all previous versions there has been a sensible index led menu.

If and when I have to change this Win7 Ultimate laptop, unless Windows has reverted to an old style menu system or a quick option to display as such, I will seriously consider moving over to Mac.

Unfortunately for my plumber, his expensive software dating from 2010 is not compatible with Win8 and he will need to replace it, even running in a compatibility mode did not unlock all the functions. 

Books tend to have a Contents section at the front, and an Index at the back, Windows used to, with a Start Menu and Windows Explorer.

My feeling with Win8 is that it might be OK for people who have no previous experience thus no in built habits, and people who like gimmics. There is nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't suit me.

You may realize that I didn't enjoy the experience :( and am not looking forward to my next battle with it!

I find that Windows 8.1 is just a touch screen OS, which is on my laptop, which is without  

the touch screen facility, it can be frustrating sometimes, to me it's just a gimmick, have to 

see what windows 10 is like when it arrives. It should never have been put on a conventional

laptop.

Hi 'Singlin', if you can hold on, later this year, (2015), Microsoft are releasing Windows 10. We have heard it before from Redmond, VA. Don't build any hopes of an early release date, apart from the beta release versions.

It will be interesting to see how it performs with amatuer astronomer equipment and whether 'old' equipment is compatible in a 9x / 2K / XP / Vista / 7 /8.x emulation mode.

My problem its that my Observatory Pc keeps crashing via blue screen due to problems with USB 2 drivers.

My Asus Striker Extreme motherboard does not like USB 2.

I am pretty much in a hurry to change.

Thanks for the feedback.

Singlin, is there any way you can borrow/hire a Win8 machine just to see if you can even get along with it? Local computer club, school, townhall.

I have a problem with installing 3rd party shells etc on under guarantee client machines.

€600 is much more than I would feel comfortable spending on a recon 320GB/8GB 17" laptop with Win7Pro. €300 is more my max ball park for end of line Win7 S/H laptops.

Do you have a local buy n sell website, there should be lots of 2 to 3 yr old Win7 machines in the Euro 200-300 range.

I have pulled the plug on this laptop.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/HP-Elitebook-8760w-i7-2620M-2x2-70Ghz-17-3-8GB-320GB-Quadro-3000M-WIN7-2-/161539846760?pt=DE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger%C3%A4te_Notebooks&hash=item259c867268

Should be good for image processing and with a 6 USB 2 port  docking station my Observatory requirements should be met too.

Archived