Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have a parcel for you, can you just sign here please!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Imp  :smiley:

Now I know how to add any future photos. Well here he is, our new baby Orry!.Jusrt waiting for some decent weather now, to let him have his first look at the night sky. I think we will start on his lessons about the Moon first, he has a lot to learn, before getting in too deep. Don't you agree?

attachicon.gifOrion 001.JPG

Pointing South East

attachicon.gifOrion 003.JPG

Pointing towards the West

Ahhhhh.....looking sweet! Brings back many happy memories with this cutie :)

As I have already mentioned, once we get some clear night skies, we intend to take Orry outside and introduce him to the wonderful world of astronomy. Both Wendy and I have quite a reasonable amount of knowledge on the subject, which we have both gained throughout our lives. However, apart from just viewing through binoculars, viewing through a telescope will a new experience for both of us. Of course, Orry will play a very big part in all of this, as he will become our eyes and we will become his tutor, and introduce him on his adventures through the Universe.

We also mentioned that we will be starting a topic on our own observations, throughout the year, which we will, on a regular basis, when the skies are favourable. We want to make our reports as interesting as possible, not just to adults, but to those younger members of the community as well. This approach, may seem to some of you, a bit silly, but by using Orry as a living pupil, each report will become educational as we start our journey through the Universe.

Orry is not just an ordinary telescope, he is our own little boy, just like Pinochio, he will come alive and be able to speak and ask questions, thus gaining knowledge as he sets out on his adventures amongst the stars.

Okay, so you now know where we are at. Rather than post these in the Observing sections, because these are split into different categories i.e The Moon, The Planets, Deep Sky and so on, we have decided to post them in the Beginner's Section, "Getting Started In Observing" This I think seems the best place to post it. Once we make a start, it will be titled "The Story & Adventures Of Orry" I think you will all (well most of you) enjoy it, once it takes off, maybe it could be made a sticky, but let's just take each step as it comes, Orry has to learn to walk before he can run.

To all those who read this, thank you for listening. 

I think comet Lovejoy should be his first target on Saturday night..which will be clear..

Mark

Maybe Mark, But we have set out a programme to start our observing with Orry, by starting with our closest neighbour, before going on into the deeper regions. Our observation reports will be presented like a story about the Universe, We intend to make it as interesting as we can, which hopefully will appeal to all the younger members of SGL There is a lot to see out there, so it is going to take quite a long time, for our story to develop, but our main aim is to make it interesting and different to most observation reports. 

Forget the scope. I like your rockery and pond.

I built the pond two years ago, it is approx 14' x 7' x 30" deepest. It contains half a dozen Koi Carp ranging from 5" to 8" as well as 4 smaller Ghost Koi. 

Maybe Mark, But we have set out a programme to start our observing with Orry, by starting with our closest neighbour, before going on into the deeper regions. Our observation reports will be presented like a story about the Universe, We intend to make it as interesting as we can, which hopefully will appeal to all the younger members of SGL There is a lot to see out there, so it is going to take quite a long time, for our story to develop, but our main aim is to make it interesting and different to most observation reports. 

I built the pond two years ago, it is approx 14' x 7' x 30" deepest. It contains half a dozen Koi Carp ranging from 5" to 8" as well as 4 smaller Ghost Koi. 

A few yrs ago i built a pond in my garden 10ft wide and 3ft deep(a step half way down for plants). I put a few Koi carp in it. Within an hour..................a Heron had all the fish for lunch.

Maybe Mark, But we have set out a programme to start our observing with Orry, by starting with our closest neighbour, before going on into the deeper regions........

4 smaller Ghost Koi.

Geoff and Wendy, please do not deprive yourselves of seeing the comet! OK, so it's not going to be visually as impressive as your first close-up with our beautiful Moon, but......It's a Comet!!! I don't know Lovejoy's period, but it may not come around again in yours and my lifetime! See it while you can :) I WISH I'd had a telescope for Hale-Bopp...

Ghost Koi? I approve :)

Geoff and Wendy, please do not deprive yourselves of seeing the comet! OK, so it's not going to be visually as impressive as your first close-up with our beautiful Moon, but......It's a Comet!!! I don't know Lovejoy's period, but it may not come around again in yours and my lifetime! See it while you can :) I WISH I'd had a telescope for Hale-Bopp...

Ghost Koi? I approve :)

I take on board what you say Steve and as soon as we can get out with Orry, we will definitely have a look at Lovejoy. It won't be part of our proposed reports, unless it is still around for a while. Once we have spent a bit of time with the Moon, we will then be going on to Jupiter and later, Saturn, once it rises high enough to get some decent views. Mars is now getting fainter so won't be at its best again until 2016. Not sure about Uranus & Neptune, whether these two will be worth looking at

The comet will be back in 8000 yrs

Don't think we will be around then Mark  :rolleyes:  So, Yes we will have a look for it, weather permitting.

this year, but hope to get a look at Venus, when the time is right. I don't think we are high enough to see Mercury rising from where we live, as the lower East & West horizons are blocked by buildings. We would need to put Orry in the car and find a suitable place to view it.

Archived