sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

I have a parcel for you, can you just sign here please!

A very nice man from Fedex rang our front door bell this morning, to say he had a parcel for me. :grin:  Now I wonder what that could be I thought.  Quite a large box was handed to me, when I opened the door and the very nice man said, could you just sign here please. Wendy came running through to the hall from the kitchen, all excited as though Santa himself had just popped back, to say, he had forgotten to deliver our Christmas present.  :laugh:

Yes our brand new telescope had finally arrived on it's ten day journey, since ordering, from Orion's European warehouse in Holland. It came very well packed, and double boxed, already assembled on its wooden altazimuth base. All that was needed to do, to finish off the assembly, was to attach the EZ red dot finder to the main body of the scope, with the two securing screws. Now what could be simpler than that! A very informative instruction manual was included, together with the two Explorer eye pieces, of 17mm and 6mm diameter. A collmination cap, a small phillips screwdriver for adjusting the mirror, should it ever need adjusting, and even a spare battery for the red dot finder.  I am happy to say, that both mirrors are spot on in alignment, ready to use.

The scope itself is very compact, with a tube length of just 18", giving a focal length of 450mm. The whole assembly weighs just 13lbs,  including the mount. Wendy is over the Moon, with it's lovely green hammered effect finish and the compactness of the whole set up, will make it easily fit on the back seat of our small car, should we need to take it somewhere away from light pollution.

As always, when you are eager to use something for the very first time, sod's law will prevail! Yes you have guessed it, it is raining   :clouds2:  and with no prospects of it clearing by tonight, it looks like our new baby, will just have to stay in its pram, until the clouds decide to drift off somewhere else. So I'm afraid, I won't be posting any performance or observation reports just yet. But as soon as we get a decent clear night, we will be taking our new baby out of its pram, out onto the patio to see how good it is. He's a boy by the way, and we have christened him Orry! :rolleyes:  

• Like 16

Felicitations on the new arrival...good name..hope you did not crack a bottle of bubbly on the tube...

Not exactly, but I did splice the main brace with a good old tot of Woods. When I was on boats, they stank of sweaty bodies and diesel fuel, but happy days.

• Like 2

A very nice man from Fedex rang our front door bell this morning, to say he had a parcel for me. :grin:  Now I wonder what that could be I thought.  Quite a large box was handed to me, when I opened the door and the very nice man said, could you just sign here please. Wendy came running through to the hall from the kitchen, all excited as though Santa himself had just popped back, to say, he had forgotten to deliver our Christmas present.  :laugh:

Yes our brand new telescope had finally arrived on it's ten day journey, since ordering, from Orion's European warehouse in Holland. It came very well packed, and double boxed, already assembled on its wooden altazimuth base. All that was needed to do, to finish off the assembly, was to attach the EZ red dot finder to the main body of the scope, with the two securing screws. Now what could be simpler than that! A very informative instruction manual was included, together with the two Explorer eye pieces, of 17mm and 6mm diameter. A collmination cap, a small phillips screwdriver for adjusting the mirror, should it ever need adjusting, and even a spare battery for the red dot finder.  I am happy to say, that both mirrors are spot on in alignment, ready to use.

The scope itself is very compact, with a tube length of just 18", giving a focal length of 450mm. The whole assembly weighs just 13lbs,  including the mount. Wendy is over the Moon, with it's lovely green hammered effect finish and the compactness of the whole set up, will make it easily fit on the back seat of our small car, should we need to take it somewhere away from light pollution.

As always, when you are eager to use something for the very first time, sod's law will prevail! Yes you have guessed it, it is raining   :clouds2:  and with no prospects of it clearing by tonight, it looks like our new baby, will just have to stay in its pram, until the clouds decide to drift off somewhere else. So I'm afraid, I won't be posting any performance or observation reports just yet. But as soon as we get a decent clear night, we will be taking our new baby out of its pram, out onto the patio to see how good it is. He's a boy by the way, and we have christened him Orry! :rolleyes:  

If I posted some of the names I've called my scope, I'd have to ban myself :D

• Like 2

Congratulations on your new arrival Wendy and Geoff, your package obviously picked up a lot cloud with the Stork carrying it en route from Holland :mad: No need to feed your arrival either, just give Orry`s bodywork an occasional wipe over with a damp cloth and clean duster.

At some time in the future the purchase of some "Baader Optical Wonder cleaning fluid and microfiber cloth" may be on the cards, see FLO above, as it is nearly always the case that optical surfaces become covered in finger marks and dust/crud. It is most popular among the forum members, and will keep your little Orry`s optics sparklingly clean.

There is mention of a car, you will find there is nothing better than to transport Orry to a dark site, away from light pollution, that will allow him to perform to his best advantage for you.

Look forward to seeing your first light experiences in the Observing reports section, as soon as your first clear night comes along, which I hope is just round the corner for you and your Astronomical journey will begin, enjoy :)

• Like 1

Good to hear of the new arival :-) . Dont forget to take him out in the daytime ,focus on some distant object and align the finder up to the scope.

Hope you get some clear skies soon.

• Like 1

Not exactly, but I did splice the main brace with a good old tot of Woods. When I was on boats, they stank of sweaty bodies and diesel fuel, but happy days.

Agreed and nuc powered one just stank of sweaty bodies when the evaporators fell over....Woods is The Rum.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments on our new arrival. :grin:

Nice to know there are other ex submariners on here as well as me. HMS's Taciturn, Oberon. (now preserved at Chatham). Served 1961 to 1971.

Hope to get some piccies of Orry up later. Also look out for my new post, starting soon.  The Story & Adventures of Orry, which will be posted in the Observations Section. 

Having problems posting photos. It seems that this site does not accept photos from Atomic Albums. This is where I store my photos, for posting to websites. Never had this problem before.

Could someone suggest another photo site please,  and how do I get the image to appear on my posts.

Having problems posting photos. It seems that this site does not accept photos from Atomic Albums. This is where I store my photos, for posting to websites. Never had this problem before.

Could someone suggest another photo site please,  and how do I get the image to appear on my posts.

Load the file direct. Choose "More Reply Options" bottom left. Click choose file and navigate to the file location on your computer and click "Attach This File" . Job done.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you Imp  :smiley:

Now I know how to add any future photos. Well here he is, our new baby Orry!.Jusrt waiting for some decent weather now, to let him have his first look at the night sky. I think we will start on his lessons about the Moon first, he has a lot to learn, before getting in too deep. Don't you agree?

post-40901-0-36241800-1420801601_thumb.j

Pointing South East

post-40901-0-03229200-1420801665_thumb.j

Pointing towards the West

• Like 3