Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

December 28, 2014: Super proms and filaments in H-alpha

michael.h.f.wilkinson

I just had a look at the sun in H-alpha with the little LS35, and it was a real treat. The disk is just ringed with proms, lovely sets on eastern and western limb. The best one is northwards on the eastern limb, and looks like a large X featuring two twisting strands of plasma. At low magnification, it becomes clear they fan out into a vast, low surface brightness cloud of plasma. Another very nice and bright prom is much further south on the eastern limb. the western limb is just studded with proms of various sizes. Apart from all the proms, there is a large arc of filaments near the eastern limb. This is the same feature visible as a "hedgerow" of proms on the limb a few days ago, it seems. Several other smaller filaments are visible on the disk as well. To the south-east of the disk centre, an AR shows a sizeable sunspot, along with a very bright plage region. The easternmost point of this region seemed to brighten up briefly (maybe a small flare). Several other ARs were visible as well. It is a pity that I must set my scope up on the pavement opposite my house in order to view the sun. That makes imaging difficult. Might give it a shot, given all the goodies on display.

I did another little comparison between the WO zoom at 22.5mm, MV 24mm, and TV Plossl 25mm for low surface brightness prom features. After several attempts, I think the best conclusion yet is that the latter two tie for first place, with the zoom a little way behind. Tuning, and getting the feature dead centre in the sweet spot are far more important than the (potential) differences between the TV 25mm and MV 24mm. 

Great write up Michael and I Couldn't agree more the sun is fantastic today, a lovely detached prom in the 4 O'clock position with many other beauties around the limb :laugh: The surface is pretty bare in white light with just a few smallish spots on display. However, what a transformation when viewed in Ha where a beautiful orange delight awaits :laugh:

Hale the sun gods :grin:

I had the Vixen out last night, and given that the sun is so low I decided to have a crack with it on the sun. I'm mighty glad I did. As Michael's fabulous report says, the sun is looking very nice today, and that big twisting prom is amazing, particular in 150mm aperture :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. The Boss was looking good today.

Like you, Michael, had to get my scope out to the front of the house - and risk neighbours checking if I was 'alright?'. But well worth it when I saw the proms you describe so nicely. That was a cracker on the northeast!

Happy.

p.s. I've been to a 'gentlemens' lunch' and now I'm in need of sleep ...

Archived