Hello from a new member.

KaiserBill

Last week I bought a Celestron EdgeHD 9.25 with CGEM. I've had two nights to bring it out and have seen the Orion Nebula. I had no luck aligning it and suspect I had used the wrong stars.

I have the 23 mm Luminos lens that came with it, but also some lower grade 6, 10 and 15 mm lenses that came with my astromaster three inch. So I'll try those.

Once I learn more I intend to do astrophotography. But I know I have more to learn.

Welcome to SGL.

I went to the Celestron site and downloaded their PDF of alignment stars. That way I could check which constellations tey were in and if they were visible.

The CGEM and AVX use the same formware, which is different again to the SE range of goto mounts.

I sus[pect you will be better with a 32mm plossl from somewhere, just gives wider views, so easier to align. The 9.25 will need to have long eyepieces to keep the magnification down and so the field of view up.

Not sure what stars you tried but Deneb and Aldebaren should be well seperated and visible, Capella is another. All are bright and pretty much single so easy to pick out. If Orion is visible then you have Betelgeuse and Rigel.

Hi KaiserBill and welcome to the forum. Could always try downloading Stellarium as a means to practice finding the correct stars. You can configure easily configure it to match the view seen from your viewing location. In addition it is a free peice of planetarium software that will help you find objects and to learn the sky so it's certainly worth giving it a go.

I must be doing something whacky with alignment. I have it facing north, it is at my latitude adjustment (43.9 degrees). I have the correct time (military), the correct zone, eastern ,-5., correct date and year I aligned it with the moon, just one body, asked for Mars and it pointed in completely the wrong direction.

I know more than one planet/stairs is required but I thought it might at least be. Close.

Quick align was useless.

Archived