Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

seeking permision to post longer than usual item in the forum

hi guys being as I'm new here and aware that i don't want to infringe the forum rules i am asking for permission to post a longer than usual article in the lounge. i would like to write and post an article about my family Ancestry as I think our members might find it interesting thing is I come from a line of 5 royal institute gold medal winning Astronomers/ Astrophysicist the first George Frederick Wilhelm struve my 6th great grandfather actually founded the Russian observatory in st petersburg and was one of the first Astronomers to ever measure Stella Parallax the last of the astronomers was Otto Struve my 2nd great grandfather was director of the Yerks observatory in the USA until 1961 when he resigned his post to take up a new one as director of the Mc Donald Radio telescope its quite some family heritage so thought it might be interesting I will await your decision guys regards timetraveller aka peter m Struve

hi mike i think i could probably do it in around 1 A4 maybe a bit less was only planning on keeping to very basic info at least to start with was going to suggest if people wanted more to email me and i could then elaborate further and maybe guide them to various web pages what do you think

I have just replied via PM, but I'll say the same here.

Providing you're not trying to sell something and there are no politics and no religion - you'll be fine.

If it really is that big that your worries, then break it into smaller amounts and maybe post in chapters. MY main concern is that people would stop reading before the end.

You could also write it in word (or similar) and send it to us if your still worried.

Ant

I think there's quite a few "amateur genealogists" (e.g. me!) who would find this interesting. Have you made / use some Website or software re. this? Fortunately a Victorian ancestor of mine traced our family back TEN generations, to the 16-somethings! I hasten to add, NOT because we were rich & famous, but simply (and helpfully!) We "Didn't get about much". Once a country bumpkin... :mrgreen:

What's keeping you boy, we are waiting to read an interesting & historical post from some one we have met on the web :afro:

Look forward to having a good read, with you and Astropethean having historical links, what a forum.

naz

I also have some historical links, as my 3rd removed Grandfather was a well known landscape Gardner,

Charles Bridgeman, who landscaped famous gardens and grounds.

"Charles Bridgeman was the last gardener to have sole responsibility for all of the Royal Gardens. He trained at London and Wise’s Brompton Park Nursery, Kensington, and in 1726 became Henry Wise’s partner in the role of joint Chief Gardeners to George I, responsible for Hampton Court, Kensington, Newmarket, Windsor and St James’ Palace. Richmond Gardens had a status apart, as they and the Lodge were granted to the Prince of Wales and Caroline by George I in 1722, and then by George II to his wife on his accession. Bridgeman had already worked for the Prince of Wales on his mistress’ garden at Marble Hill, as well as at Richmond. When George II succeeded in 1727 Wise retired, and Bridgeman was appointed sole Royal Gardener, managing Richmond under a separate contract. A significant part of Bridgeman’s work at Richmond was the landscaping of William Kent’s follies. However, he also created a canal and extended the riverside Terrace to Kew. It was under Bridgeman that the planting of trees, to soften the edges of the cultivated fields, began in earnest. He had a particular liking for elms, establishing a Great Elm Walk from Richmond Lodge to Love Lane. Bridgeman’s greatest achievement is said to have been the landscaping of Lord Cobham’s grounds at Stowe, again working in collaboration with Kent."

Text from Kew Botanical Gardens History section.

Thats enough..................sorry! :nono:

Nick (Bridgeman) :afro:

Archived