Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro on Mac

Davey-T

So thought I'd make a start on astroing this Mac Book Pro, downloaded Stellarium and it refuses to install it because of some setting that says I can only install stuff from the Mac Appstore,

Any one know where to alter this?  save me searching.

Dave

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So thought I'd make a start on astroing this Mac Book Pro, downloaded Stellarium and it refuses to install it because of some setting that says I can only install stuff from the Mac Appstore,

Any one know where to alter this?  save me searching.

Dave

Easy on this :)

Apple at the top left > System Preferences... > Security & Privacy icon > under the General Tab " Allow Apps downloaded from:" list.

You'll need to unlock the settings or they will remain greyed out. Todo that click on the padlock and authorise the unlock, after which you will be able to change the option. You'll need to select "Anywhere".

There's a way todo this by authorising each application open attempt after download using the authorisation button that appears in the same window - just under the greyed out list.

The best way to run Windows on a Macbook is to use Bootcamp which is built into OS X to create a native Windows partition and do a full and proper install of Windows to that partition. Modern Intel based MacBooks can run Windows completely natively (as I do for RC helicopter simulators). Emulators / VM environments are just not up to the job performance wise to run RC helicopter simulators.

Plus, there is no need to run an emulator on the Mac when it can run Windows natively (unless you prefer not to have a Windows partition on your machine, which some people prefer).

Bootcamp will suggest a default partition size of 20GB for Windows 7 / 8. You can change this to whatever size you want - it will steal whatever you ask from your main OS X partition. 

Once you've installed your Windows, you simply hold down the option key after powering on your Mac and then you will be given the choice to boot to OS X or Windows. Simply select Windows and you will boot into Windows natively and you will be shocked how fast Windows runs on a Mac when you are not using emulation! It's faster than almost any PC I've ever used.

On another note, the latest OS X operating systems are full 64 bit. However, I presume in the posts above that the people are referring to the astro apps only being 16 bit (i.e. Presumably quite old).

In terms of straight forward planetarium software for the Mac, I personally use Sky Safari 4 Plus. There is also a Pro version available for extra cost. I find it a great app :-

http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari_mac/index.html

Easy on this :)

Apple at the top left > System Preferences... > Security & Privacy icon > under the General Tab " Allow Apps downloaded from:" list.

You'll need to unlock the settings or they will remain greyed out. Todo that click on the padlock and authorise the unlock, after which you will be able to change the option. You'll need to select "Anywhere".

There's a way todo this by authorising each application open attempt after download using the authorisation button that appears in the same window - just under the greyed out list.

Thanks Nik, done that, onwards and upwards hopefully, can't get used to the touch pad keep trying to tap it and when I click it the arrow flies of and clicks something else :)

Dave

The best way to run Windows on a Macbook is to use Bootcamp which is built into OS X to create a native Windows partition and do a full and proper install of Windows to that partition. Modern Intel based MacBooks can run Windows completely natively (as I do for RC helicopter simulators). Emulators / VM environments are just not up to the job performance wise to run RC helicopter simulators.

Plus, there is no need to run an emulator on the Mac when it can run Windows natively (unless you prefer not to have a Windows partition on your machine, which some people prefer).

Bootcamp will suggest a default partition size of 20GB for Windows 7 / 8. You can change this to whatever size you want - it will steal whatever you ask from your main OS X partition. 

http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari_mac/index.html

Thanks Greg, I've ordered a hopefully kosher copy of Win7 Pro, will install that and go from there, won't be doing any image processing on it so just need acquisition software which I had running happily on previous Win 7 laptop before it died and I ended up mired in Win 8.1.

Dave 

The main thing with bootcamp is you will not be able to resize the main partition on the disc once it's bootcamp partitioned - So if you want additional storage later you'll need to offload.

That is true - OS X does not support increasing the bootcamp partition size after it has been set up. However there are 3rd party tools available for Windows that allow you to do this.

The process is to use Disk Utility (included with OS X) to initially reduce the size of the OS X partition by the amount you want to extend the Windows partition by. You then use one of the 3rd party disk utilities available for Windows to increase the size of the bootcamp partition. An example of a tool is MiniTool Partition Wizard (there are others) :-

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

However, you will find that you can read / write personal data files between the two partitions anyway - as Windows will be able to access the OS X partition for personal data. So you can store data files (e.g. images) on the OS X partition.  You will be able to access data files directly on an OS X partition from Windows - BUT, if you want to install a Windows app from install files that are downloaded to an OS X partition, you will need to copy it to the Windows partition before you can install it (think of these as executables rather than personal data files as a guide).

In the worst case you can also use something like Google drive as a 'middle man' to move files between partitions if there are any particular files that one of the OS's cannot access from the other OS partition.

If you have the space on your drive, then a sensible size for the Windows partition may be perhaps 50GB. It needs to be enough space for Windows and all the apps you plan to install.

Shouldn't be a problem as I only need room for imaging software and temporary image storage.

Don't know what size HD it has, is there some system check thingy like Windows to see how much memory it has etc ?

Dave

Yes, just click the Apple icon at the top left of the screen and then "About this Mac". Once the window opens, you click the "storage" tab for the info.

You can also click the System Report button on the same window to get a full, detailed report of everything in your Mac.

Finally, forgot to mention earlier that when you bootcamp install Windows on your Mac, it will burn a DVD disc for you with all the drivers needed for your Mac. Once you have Windows on (and the 200 odd security updates you'll have to do!) then simply pop the burned DVD disc in and everything will be set up and all your hardware will be supported.

One thing you should be able to do is create another partition and make it fat32, you should be able to install things on this and resize it at will.

It's been a while since I used boot camp as I'm happier with a VM but that's what I used to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can boot a boot camp partition as a vm in VMware.

First create the windows install using boot camp and then use VMware to run it.

You only need to install things once but you will need to reactivate windows the first time you boot it in the vm as it will recognise the hardware change.

I used to do this with XP before I switched to fully vm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting a bit ahead of myself here but if I can eventually get everything I need running natively on the Mac will it be easy to reclaim the boot camp partition or will I have to reformat and reinstall Mac OSX ?

DAVE

I thought about putting windows on my MacBook Pro, but couldn't face having anything Microsoft on it. Instead, I have just bought a Panasonic Toughbook CF30 mk3 running Win 7 so I can use it to have a go at basic lunar planetary imaging. It's waterproof and drop proof, I don't want to take my Macbook out in freezing weather!

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Have now got Win7 Pro 64bit sp1 so ready to go, been reading Boot Camp instructions and already confused, if I have an internal DVD drive do I also need a USB stick ?

Dave

Hi Dave,

No you don't. Just run boot camp wizard and go through the steps. It will ask you to burn a DVD of drivers for your Windows. It will then verify your Windows install disc before asking you the size of Windows partition you want and will then prepare your Mac for installing windows. It will then reboot the Mac and run the windows installation from your windows DVD. Hope that helps.

p.s. Macs with DVD drives MUST install from a Windows DVD. Only Macs that do not have DVD drives (e.g. Retina Macbook Pro) can install by other means.

Have now got Win 7 running on the MacBook Pro , two problems.

One: the illuminated keyboard doesn't work in Windows

Two: Win 7 says there are no network connections available, but the Mac connects without  a problem.

Any help appreciated.

Dave 

Also some of the keys seem to do different characters ?

Archived