Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro on Mac

Davey-T

Hi Dave,

So I assume you are using Bootcamp and not VMware or parallels?

If so, this sounds like the windows drivers for the Mac are not installed or not the correct versions.

which version of OSX are you using and also which exact Mac (eg MacBook Pro Early 2011)?

When you were installing windows, did it ask for the dvd that you had created with the boot camp assistant that contains the drivers and did you see them install?

All the best

Nick

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave,

Did you burn the driver DVD during the initial bootcamp wizard?

You need to insert the burned DVD in your drive when in Windows. You then open the disc and run the install program (from Windows). That should then install the drivers.

If you didn't burn a DVD before putting Windows on, then boot into OS X  and run the Bootcamp assistant again. It will then give you the option to burn the DVD again (without having to reinstall Windows)

When I ran Boot Camp assistant it insisted on having a USB stick.

Got a pop up thingy saying "There is no USB drive connected to the system, please insert a USB drive to continue"

I remember you said I didn't need one but it refused to go any further without one, seemed to work OK , said it was installing drivers etc.

Dave

It also says "Windows support software from Apple is downloaded for amongst other things the keyboard if you create a Win 7 or later version from a USB flash drive the support software is copied to it " but the keyboard back light doesn't work in windows, does this mean it didn't download them ?

Ok, I've just had a look at the Boot Camp Assistant app on my machine. One thing to remember is that the app is designed for two types of Macbook Pro machines. One type (the non-Retina model) has a DVD drive (which I presume is the type you have). The other type (i.e. Retina) does not have a DVD drive. They are too thin to have a drive installed.

The application however, is designed to be able to install Windows from both types of Macbook Pro. However, there is a deliberate limitation in Bootcamp where you must install Windows from DVD if your Macbook Pro has a DVD drive (this is a copy protection measure). This limitation does not exist on MacBooks that do not have DVD drives for obvious reasons. They must install by others means (i.e. USB). This is the only reason Apple allow a Windows install via USB drive on those machines.

This is why boot camp says "If you create a Windows 7 install disk from a USB flash drive, the support software is copied to it". That only applies to MacBooks with no DVD drive.

I suggest you boot into OS X and run the assistant again. When you get to the "Select Tasks" page, un-tick the box "Install Windows 7" but keep the other box "Download latest Windows support software from Apple". Then click [Continue]. The drivers should then download and you will be asked to insert a blank disc to burn them on to.

Once this is done, reboot to windows and open the burned disc in there and run the setup program which will then install the support software to enable the trackpad features, keyboard, etc. You will see an icon at the bottom right of your windows where you can then go in and set up your trackpad, etc to your liking.

Reading through the instructions again I think I may have gone wrong somewhere so will delete the whole thing and start again tomorrow.

Dave

Don't delete the Windows :smiley: Just follow the above steps and you should hopefully be fine. Just for clarification, you installed the Windows from a DVD disc (not a USB stick) didn't you? If yes, then just do the above. Much less hassle than removing the partition, etc. Everything else has gone fine so far, you only need to ensure you burn the support software and the steps above will allow you to do that.

You could alternatively go here :-

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents

And browse through the different support software downloads and find the one for your machine. If you go to "About Your Mac" in OS X you will find out your model (e.g. 'Late 2012"). Just find the package that supports your machine.

Download the package and copy it to your windows partition somewhere. Then boot into Windows and simply run it  :smiley:

p.s. If you can tell me your model on here, I can tell you the package to download.

You need this one then :-

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Simply download it (1GB). Copy the zip file to your Windows partition (say to a TEMP folder or Download, or something). Then unzip it (should just be able to double click it). Go into the unzipped Bootcamp folder and run setup.exe. That will sort it.

You need this one then :-

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Simply download it (1GB). Copy the zip file to your Windows partition (say to a TEMP folder or Download, or something). Then unzip it (should just be able to double click it). Go into the unzipped Bootcamp folder and run setup.exe. That will sort it.

That seems to have fixed it, don't know what I did first time round, don't think the instructions were very clear or me being thick :)

Thankyou very much for all your help Greg

Dave

Hehe Mac + ATIK camera + OpenPHD2 + EQMac = native OSX pulse guiding for NEQ6s (like PHD + EQMod) :D

Today's news ;)

post-9952-0-96851000-1422029731_thumb.pn
I still have some dev work todo.. namely sort out the image width as my OpenPHD2 class is based on the existing ATIK16 class originally written years ago in PHD..

Downloaded, will try it soon :)

Dave

:D

If you find options that don't work or if you have problems with the guiding setup - give me a shout, I've tried the EQMac hookup but I've not got to try the full system guiding so keep an eye on it when it's running. I only managed to get the thing working whilst about mid way in the channel tunnel :/

Well that didn't go to well, when I run PHD on the Mac I can connect to the camera, loop to capture, select a star in a green box but the PHD target stays dimmed out so i can't get any further, this happens even with the simulator camera so don't know what the problem is, will try reinstalling it.

Dave

Reinstalled Mac version of PHD still doesn't work so downloaded Windows version on the windows partition and that has the same problem so seems to go deeper than the OS may be some sort of graphics problem.

Have done all updates.

Dave

Reinstalled Mac version of PHD still doesn't work so downloaded Windows version on the windows partition and that has the same problem so seems to go deeper than the OS may be some sort of graphics problem.

Have done all updates.

Dave

Hmm interesting - I'll put some screen shots on the thread. Had me worried! What laptop and GPU are you using? it may be an OpenGL/CL version they're using.

Archived