Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro on Mac

Davey-T

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having problems installing a Windows program on the Bootcamp partition of MBP Mid 2013.

The program in question is Tekky Daves ASCOM Focuser AAF2 

See here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinoascomfocuser/files/Mark2/Software/V2.4.0/

I've installed it on two other Windows laptops Win8.1 and Win 7 Pro 64bit without any problems but although the installer goes through the motions without any errors it doesn't work on Bootcamp,  the driver doesn't install and when I register it manually  regasm reports success but Device Manager says no driver installed and it isn't detected by ASCOM.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Still having various prob's with this MBP, having taken a few videos yesterday using James Fs  OAcapture if I  try to highlight them the shift key doesn't work, I can do cmd A and select all of them or select them randomly using cmd click but if I highlight the first one then scroll down to the last one and hold the shift key and click on it nothing happens.

Also it won't let me drag highlighted files from the files window onto a USB external drive, just shows a "no entry" symbol and they jump back, I can highlight files and drag them from one folder to another with no problems.

Any ideas welcomed.

Dave

Is the USB drive formatted as NTFS? If so your Mac may not be able to write to it. Re-format it as OSX journaled or as FAT32 if it needs to be used with windows machines.

Shift should work, is it an old MBP? I had weird keyboard problems on my old one, try rebooting and resetting the PRAM to see if it clears up. Is it just the shift key on one side or both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply.

As far as I know the USB drive is formatted to FAT32, MBP is mid 2012 V10.9.5, neither shift key works, got a Bootcamp partition and they work on that.

Dave

Just checked and it is NTFS damn computers  :grin:

Ok well that's one problem solved at least ;)

NTFS is a pain.

Clearly it isn't a hardware issue with the keyboard so try the usual Mac fault finding, repair permissions and reset PRAM.

Also ensure there are no USB devices connected (I think the Keyboard is actually connected through the USB bus) and you don't have any accessibility options like selected text dictation or slow keys turned on.

Nope, they don't sell OSX install disks anymore anyway. I think Snow Leopard was the last one to come on DVD, after that it is download, recovery partition or USB stick.

Use disk utility to repair permissions, to reset PRAM turn off the machine then turn it on again while holding CMD, OPT, P & R. It should restart itself then you can let go of the keys.

Browsed around Mac forums and this appears to be a "feature" of Mavericks, if you have the file list selected as icons the shift key doesn't work to select them if it's in simple file list it works, go figure, have they been taking tips from Microsoft :)

Dave

Icons... wouldn't know as I never use that mode. Always either list or photo view.

At least you know just to use the list mode now :D

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Indeed but windows permissions can cause problems. It is possible to end up corrupting them so it won't work in windows anymore by overwriting the permissions on a Mac. Unless you need to use files over 4GB FAT32 should be fine

• 6 months later...

I'd guess what they're trying to say is that it meets the specifications for both "High Speed" USB and "Super Speed" USB.  "High Speed" is USB2.  "Super Speed" is USB3.  I think USB3.1 will be "Super Speed+".  Presumably when we get as far as "Hyper Speed" we'll all be able to make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.

James

When we get to the point that we can change measures of distance, e.g. make a parsec short that standard definition, we have the universe as or oyster...

Then we can go look as the Crab Nebula exploding, and return in time for tea :)

TARDIS?

Archived