Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LX200 ACF vs EdgeHD OTA: Sorry to ask

I can't believe I'm actually going to ask this, but here I am. Having just sold my SV90 in order to purchase an SCT, I'm faced with which to buy, LX200 ACF vs EdgeHD, both 8in OTAs. This is initially for visual, but I'll almost certainly end up take some photos. The initial pricing for both is exactly the same ($1200USD) which makes choosing difficult. I keep flip flopping. The purchase is for more aperture and to compliment my 4in frac. Is this one of those choices that's more like Coke vs Pepsi or are there distinct advantages/disadvantages? It would be preferable to not add further options. I have a distinct feeling this might be one of those "flip of the coin" kind of choice.... thoughts?

celestron edge for me. Why would you need a fork with a paramount mount? Meade have had a few problems over the last few years and released a few dodgy products they used to produce good optics (probably still do) but the way they have been going who is to say they will still be around in even 10 years and then how will you get parts?

You have a scope for DSO imaging so imo focus on the strenghts of the sct for Luna / plantary imaging with a ASI120MM, which you dont need the edge, get a 9.25 instead. If you so feel inclined is is also capable of imaging with your QSI.

Both will go on your mount at once too.

Its pretty pointless on the whole imaging with a bright moon and on those night you can refine your luna imaging skills :)

This is basically what I have done.

Great advice. As always I'm glad I posted. I'd very much prefer to buy used as there are just better deals. Once the fever breaks and I return to rational thought and consider all factors.... there's a good deal now on an 8in EdgeHD. I like used because if it doesn't work out I can recoup the cost. Yes, the C11 isn't rational for me. It's easy to get caught up when the price is the same for an 8in to an 11in, but need to keep my awful back in mind. 8in is a perfect size.

Thank you!!!

Never seen a Celestron version of this but it was a direct copy, as far as I am aware, of the Meade idea. The idea works but I believe is well overpriced and would have bought a different scope given my time again. You say you want this for visual, that being the case you will have a much longer focal length at 2 meters, this will make your Ethos 4.7mm almost useless and the 13mm will be a highish power eyepiece. Then you should consider going to a 2 inch back for it, you will have to for your 20mm 100 degree, even this now becomes X100, extra cost if you want lower power. On the plus side as these are F10 and kind to eyepieces there will be no real need for Tele-Vue, though that didn't stop me. For photography the F/L even on your mount will be very very difficult for all but planetary, though I am no expert, well beyond the ability of a beginner in my opinion.

I would if you are going down this road look for a second hand scope, they can be picked up cheap here, less than half price, as for where you are I would have thought there were many of these scopes and the none edge ones too. At least if you do this you will not blow a large amount of money and can still sell it on if you don't like it and only loose a little.

It is true Meade have had their problems but most of the LX200's I would think were made a fair time ago as the then had a model switch, secondhand will buy you one made when they were a market leader in this area.

Alan. 

You can look on page 5 of the Celestron whilte paper for the optical quality comparison between the standard, coma free, and edge scts. Bear in mind this is the Celestron white paper, I haven't read others. Even so from personal experience I think the paper under plays the Edge performance. 

http://www.celestron.com/media/520893/EdgeHD_WhitePaper_FINAL.pdf

I'm not sure if the Meade has a mirror lock system to prevent mirror flop or not? I've found the Edge mirror locks to be very good.

Visually my C8 Edge is stunning with my 20mm ES100 eyepiece giving a perfect 2mm exit pupil for DSO's

DSO imaging is not for the beginner with the C8, I've only ever imaged unguided but can manage 3 minute subs at 400mm focal length with a short frac, with the Edge reduced down to f7 1400mm I can only really get 30 seconds.

Have you had any luck trying out your existing kit yet? that's the best place to start if you ask me :)

The Celestron EdgeHD 8in OTA sells new for $1300. I can get a used one with the edge reducer for $1200. The reducer goes for $300 new. I agree with the preference for used equipment. I have no desire to buy a "brand new" OTA.

Based on what I've seen so far, $1200 for the OTA plus Reducer ain't a bad deal. I would love to take images of Jupiter/Saturn and this setup would do this quite nicely. I suppose when it comes to this purchase, it's going to be more "the best deal I can find" rather than "which kit is better". I've been monitoring CloudyNights and Astromart classified sections and the occasional really great deal comes by, but I'll be damned they sell fast.

My current kit, I've yet to take any images. I have been out a few times trying to get comfy with the mount and scope and setup. I believe I've nailed down PA, less of difficulty than I believed. I LOVE the views with this little scope. The primary difficulty thus far is the logistics of transporting/connecting all the parts when switching from visual to imaging in the dark. This is the motivation for getting the SCT so soon. I could then leave the TAK with CCD adapters/reducer attached and leave in the car when doing visual work or dual mount. I have no plans to abandon visual observing in favor of imaging and would like to be able to do both with relative ease.

Side note, purchasing this SCT a would alter my choice in picking up a 17mm or 8mm ethos Obviously in favor of the 17mm, leaving, for use with SCT, the 20mm ES100 and the 17mm Ethos. In time I'd most likely end up getting rid of the 3.6mm ethos, using the funds for something like a 25mm ES100.

It's my belief that having an solid SCT mounted with my Frac on the paramount, I'll be completely finished for a long while with purchasing equipment. The desire to increase aperture will be negated by my physical condition. Short of technological advances in the hobby, I'll be good to go for years.... or not [emoji6]

The one issue that is specific to the C8 Edge is that the focal reducer reduces the back focus even more. With every other Edge the back focus remains the same at 146mm. This may or may not bite you in the future.

Archived