Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ8 Problems?

Gina

Opening the clutches and manually moving the mount when it's powered on won't help, as the encoders just update EQMOD.

You don't need the handset to re-synch the encoders and EQMOD. The problem is that EQMOD will not accept a synch point if it is beyond a certain distance from where the mount thinks it is pointing. I can't remember the exact amount, but what happens is that when you try to issue a sync command EQMOD pops an error message up in the message centre and doesn't accept the synch. Unless you have the EQMOD screen displaying messages then you don't realise the problem.

What I did was to connect to CdC and see where the mount thought it was pointing (usually at the floor or well below the horizon). I then selected a known star and set the cursor on it. You can then either disable the encoders and manually slew to the star (handset needed for this), or power off and manually slew. Re-enable the encoders or reconnect to EQMOD and then issue a "Resync encoders" command. Clear any alignment points and then sync with CdC to build the pointing model.
You can use this to reset the Home position if you are using a side-by-side bar too.
This is a once-only routine UNLESS you move the mount substantially when it is powered off.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opening the clutches and manually moving the mount when it's powered on won't help, as the encoders just update EQMOD.

You don't need the handset to re-synch the encoders and EQMOD. The problem is that EQMOD will not accept a synch point if it is beyond a certain distance from where the mount thinks it is pointing. I can't remember the exact amount, but what happens is that when you try to issue a sync command EQMOD pops an error message up in the message centre and doesn't accept the synch. Unless you have the EQMOD screen displaying messages then you don't realise the problem.

What I did was to connect to CdC and see where the mount thought it was pointing (usually at the floor or well below the horizon). I then selected a known star and set the cursor on it. You can then either disable the encoders and manually slew to the star (handset needed for this), or power off and manually slew. Re-enable the encoders or reconnect to EQMOD and then issue a "Resync encoders" command. Clear any alignment points and then sync with CdC to build the pointing model.

You can use this to reset the Home position if you are using a side-by-side bar too.

This is a once-only routine UNLESS you move the mount substantially when it is powered off.

That'll make you Stephen660783 on the Yahoo thread then :-)

19ca79cdaff9098eec2c09878ebca2e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did it work out for You, Gina?

I'm also using the EQ8, didn't see this thread until now. Here are my experiences using the EQ8  :smiley:

I have had some alignment/synchronization problems with my EQ8, also using Eqmod and CdC.

As far as I know and if my memory serves me (I tried this out during the spring season), if the encoders are connected, Eqmod will recognize manual movements of the mount. You can try to loosen a bit on the clutches and rotate the mount freely and check if the values for RA and Dec changes in Eqmod. It did for me.

I also use a defined park position to avoid the observatory roof. I have noticed that my mount needs a "restart" once in a while, it seems it looses the synchronization after a while.

My workflow for resetting the system is ass follows:

1 - First I clear all alignment data and saves the "zeroed" alignment preset.

2 - Disconnect Eqmod

3 - Auto-home the EQ8 (using attached program or handcontroller)

4 - Be present at the mount to monitor the auto-home process, strange things can happen and the mount can go crazy.

5 - Reconnect Eqmod

6 - Re-sync encoders after choosing "Park to home position" and "Unpark".

7 - Next: Choose Your preferred park and unpark position.

8 - Check if the mount is behaving properly when parking/unparking.

9 - Start a new synchronization/star alignment with CdC and Eqmod

After this everything works for a while...

I think my problems with loosing sync may have something to do with CCD autopilot using ASCOM-park, not Eqmod park, after finishing a photo session. I haven't investigated this in deep, yet. I haven't noticed any differences with encoders on or off. The few Swedish nights with clear skies is better used for photography rather than troubleshooting :grin:

The attached program can also be used to switch the encoders on/off. It can be found in the EQ8-group on Yahoo. The program only works if Eqmod is unconnected.

Brgds,

Thomas

EQ8+Tools.zip

Thank you Thomas - very interesting :)  Same here with the skies.  I have used the few clear night hours available for imaging when I've been well enough and when the equipment works.  Think that was just one night for a couple of hours :D

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, skybadger said:

There's an option in the features of eqmod 2 that does encoder sync.

That means you don't need the handset. 

M

Can you point me to where that is as I can't see it in EQMod V 2.00?

Thanks

Archived