NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ4 mount

Bobby1970

Looking at getting an AZ4 mount to use my old ST102 on but will also be getting an ED80 scope of some sort shortly.

I am wondering is there a huge difference between the AZ4-1 (aluminium legs) and the AZ4 with the steel legs.

One can be had for around the £135 mark while the other is about £40-50 more.

Does anyone have experience of the aluminium legged version with similar scopes to those i have mentioned??

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up guys. I am also tempted by the AZ3 tbh, they can be had for very little money too. If i go for the AZ4 i am sure it will be the aluminium legged one as the best balance for sturdiness/portability.

Thanks again

I had the AZ4 with steal legs and it very sturdy indeed, even when mounted with dual scopes (Lunt 60 & Equinox 80mm)

The only down side for me is the lack of slo-mo adjustment controls :smiley: as a result I converted the AZ4 to a giro-mount.

Must admit, the lack of slo-mo controls is putting me off a little.

Wondered if something like this would be suitable:-

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-mounts/vixen-mini-porta.html

Or would i need the larger more sturdier version?

Hi Bobby, I would stress that the 'Mini' is NOT up to the task for an ST102 and would strongly recommend the Vixen Porta II, that's the combination I chose and it is very sturdy and works well, the slo-mo controls are perfect, if a little far away sometimes when using them in a sitting position (as I do).  The Porta II is practically £100 more but worth every penny in my opinion.

Hi Bobby, I would stress that the 'Mini' is NOT up to the task for an ST102 and would strongly recommend the Vixen Porta II, that's the combination I chose and it is very sturdy and works well, the slo-mo controls are perfect, if a little far away sometimes when using them in a sitting position (as I do).  The Porta II is practically £100 more but worth every penny in my opinion.

I think i will probably go for the Skywatcher AZ4 then. Can't really stretch to an extra £100. Looking at getting some sort of 80mm Semi-Apo scope too so need to do as much as i can with my funds.

Someone has offered me an EQ5 tripod (steel legs) and a AZ4 mount to go on it for what i think is a reasonable price. Just wanted to check that this mount will fit onto this tripod ok?? Or am i being sold a lemon?

I have had an AZ4 (steel legged) and it was great for wide field stuff but not so good at high magnification on planets due to the lack of slow mo.

Having had a similar dilemma I have decided on a Skytee 2 as it seems to be the only alt-az that I will be able to use for grab and go with small fracs and will also handle my 250px .

I know it is a little more expensive but as I have found in the past waiting and getting the best solution for your needs pays off long term.

Paul

Archived