NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ4 Aluminium mount

I'm looking for an Alt/Az mount for my new Skywatcher 80ED and was wondering if the AZ4 on aluminum legs would be sturdy enough so there's no (or very little) vibration?  I want to be able to lug this about to dark skies so definitely preferable to save to weight rather than the steel legged version....  I guess the OTA plus diagonal + hefty eyepiece comes to approx 4Kg.

Hi Dave, biggest scope used was 127mm f9.... On the limit!. Love the combo with the St 120, goes everywhere and impervious to sand. Snow & dog slobber. Travels in the boot, roof box or back seat! The ST 120 is bullet proof, don't suggest you treat the 80 ed in the same way though!!

Dave,

I have switched my steel leg tripod from AZ4 with allu tripod from EQ3. The AZ4 with aluminium tripod shown in my avatar, aluminium tripod works very well with ED80, very steady, it's my grab and go combo for observing between clouds.

Dave,

I have switched my steel leg tripod from AZ4 with allu tripod from EQ3. The AZ4 with aluminium tripod shown in my avatar, aluminium tripod works very well with ED80, very steady, it's my grab and go combo for observing between clouds.

That's great news... Exactly what I wanted to know! Many thanks.

After some sound advice from Jules, I use the AZ4 steel leg for purely visual work and as can be seen in the picture below, with a 4.5kg, 4" f/10, plus 9x50 finder, Telrad and weighty EPs, no longer use Hyperions but Delos is very much the same weight, the AZ4 works fine.

post-21324-0-50094100-1347491453_thumb.j

With that said, one does need a little practice getting the balance and tension just right to one's own 'strength of tug', that is, when moving the two axis (horizontal and vertical) so that the planets or dsos don't leap out of view. And at high magnifications, wobble-down time is significant. But this is due to the length of the OTA rather than fault of the AZ 4.

What the AZ4 excels at is its ease of set up, its weight, its ability to simply pan the sky, locate an object and observe it. There's a break in the clouds, you've got a few minutes, and rather than playing around with your EQ system, putting on the weight, balancing the scope, for example, the AZ4 is rapidly set up and you're observing in minutes. It makes for a perfect rapid planet, moon and solar observing mount and for this reason, I really think it is an outstanding portable mount.

Hi Dave, the AZ4 will be very good, but I recommend the Vixen Porta II, very sturdy and on special offer at the moment at FLO here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/vixen-porta-ii-mount.html  Great for my C100ED so will be more than sturdy enough for your ED80, plus the mount has the added advantage of slo-mo controls, which the AZ4 does not have.

It's exactly the same, I've got both and the tripod is interchangeable.

James

Excellent ! Definitely will get the Alu version then for the portable solution and can stick it on my eq-5 legs for closer to home. Works out considerably cheaper as well.

Aha, I wondered that, but it don't think it is :-(

Perhaps someone who's upgraded to a SkyTee or equivalent might want to sell their AZ4 without the tripod?

I have seen the AZ4 head only being sold second hand - and I'm tempted to go this route myself. I'm just a bit shocked at the price of a Giro mount.

Archived