Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Identification of Mount

Aussie Dave

Could someone identify what type of EQ mount I have please. I purchased this on the weekend with an 8 inch reflector scope and was also wondering if I can motorise it for tracking. I was told that the telescope is a Skywatcher, no branding on the scope itself. It also came with instructions and has Skywatcher Exployer written in black marker on the front. Have searched online tonight but none of the results show this mount, tripod or scope. The scope tube is dark blue with the same coloured ends and focuser as the mount.

I'm not sure if it's an older Skywatcher or similar that was sold by another company, unbranded. Hopefully someone else has had this scope. The colour of the mount is a wishy washy teal green.

DSCF9990Medium_zps554292a2.jpg

DSCF9988Medium_zps89ef1052.jpg

Someone will most likely correct me, but older / classic SkyWatcher tubes were blue, and the mount looks like a vintage Vixen of the Polaris range (Vixen did use green).

(either that or the old user smoked a lot of wacky backy when observing). ;)

Search out Vintage or Classic Vixen mounts for other pictures.

I don't think it's a Vixen although it's modelled on the original Vixen Polaris mount.

I believe it's a mount thats known generically as the GEM 1. They are made in China and have been sold under various brandings over the years. Orion Optics used to supply them with their 6" newtonians at some point in the past. Telescope Services in Germany used to sell a version too, for a while. I think it's capacity is somewhere between the Skywatcher EQ2 and EQ3-2 mounts, maybe leaning more towards the latter.

Great searching everyone and thanks for all the imput. That seems to be the one.

On closer inspection of the colour of the telescope, it's actually black. For some reason the green bubble wrap it was wrapped in and my dodgy eyesight late at night made it look dark blue, sorry about that.

So the census is either an EQ2 or 3 mount? I have no idea myself.

It's actually a nice mount and tripod. If I can get motorised tracking on it, I'll keep it for the Meade LX200. That'll be one less thing I need to buy. It looks like you could be, but again I have no idea. It would help if it had a brand name on it or number.

I can provide more spercific photos of the mount if needed.

From what I remember it is about the right size of an Eq4, im not sure if you can get motors for these mounts as I have never seen one with motors on, it might be worth emailing Hioptic and ask if they supply them.

Another option could be to find someone around where you live with a skywatcher equivalent and see if you could adapt the motors to fit?

It's not the motors as such, but how they would physically attach to the mount and existing slo' mo' controls.

See attached pic. This is NOT your mount but an EQ3-2 purely for illustration showing how the motors bolt into the system.

You may need to fabricate brackets and also figure out how to bolt them to the mount, as I can't see attachment point holes in your pics.

post-34135-0-75928100-1416304172_thumb.j

post-34135-0-06085100-1416304178_thumb.j

Yeah right, so it can be done by drilling holes and fixing the motors with sturdy brackets. Interesting. It looks like that's what I'll have to do but first I'll email the distributor of the scope first as Rikroe666 mentioned.

Email sent.

I just realised it has the allignment scope in mount itself. I think it's a keeper either way.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave

So far as I know, the original version of your mount may be the Mizar AR equatorial mount (a Japanese brand). Your mount is EQ4/TQ4 – a Chinese copy of Mizar AR.

EQ4/TQ4 was very popular in Chinese market, but now largely replaced by EQ3-2/CG4.

I purchased a TQ4 about 10 years ago. It is a sturdy, but poor precision mount. As you can see in the pictures, duel-motos can be installed, but they are sold separately.

I hope this is helpful. :laugh: 

post-40789-0-41697800-1419607570.jpg

post-40789-0-96670000-1419607587_thumb.j

post-40789-0-52886100-1419607601.jpg

My version of this mount was badged as an NES I believe

It did have motor drives

I got it from SCS Astro

The last time I can remember using it was as a travel mount to Turkey in 2006 for the eclipse

I will try and find it out over the coming weekend

Steve

Thanks Zhao and Ibbo, the more info the better. I would need to mod mine if I decide to go down that road, I just don't want to butcher and destroy my mount as it's in very good condition. Have been looking at tripods and GoTo mounts online at around $1500 new but not sure on their quality, have no idea really and still need to look at guiding scopes for the AP shots I would like to achieve. Still searching for a good second hand one online as well.

Ibbo, do you operate another forum (Ibo)? Old admin name from the past.

Archived