skywatcher super possl eye pieces

alro

Hello there, i am quite new to all this.

Are Skywatcher super possl ep s any good. Remember i am a complete novice. I get 10mm and 25mm with skymax127.

I have seen an offer for a case with 7.5mm 12.5mm 17mm and 20mm eps along with 4 filters and torch fot 79 (half price) with skywatcher telescope receipt.

I realise these may not be optimum eps but at my level would this be a good buy to start me off?

I was going to buy the filters anyways, so im looking at £50 for these 4 eps.

Any wise words of wisdom out there is appreciated.

Plossl's should be OK in the scope, I have no idea who actually makes them. It may be Synta or they may equally be bought in and branded Skywatcher, half suspect the latter.

The eyepieces that came with the scope will be MA - Modified Achromats - so the plossls will be better.

The 12.5mm 17mm and 20mm should work fairly good, not sure about the 7.5mm as that will be giving 200x and I am not sure. Suggest that you expect to use it occasionally but not every night.

Eye relief is a function of focal length generally use 2/3  of the focal length and you will not be far wrong. Think it is sort of 70%. So if you wear glasses the 7.5mm is again tight (possibly unusable with glasses). The others should be fine.

If they are plossl's then you should be alright.

Do check thayt are plossl's first, I read of people assuming plossls.

I only say check as I have seen a couple of posts of people intending to buy an eyepiece set of "plossls" then when the detail is looked into they do not actually say Plossl and further digging has revealed they are actually more MA's, so not what it was assumed.

Will say that the potential buyer had presumed plossl eyepieces, the sets were not advertised as such. It was a presumption made incorrectly.

I haven't seen a "package-deal" set of eyepieces that comes with filters, too, that wasn't Plossl's in the last 15+ years. And, as has been stated, they are good eyepieces. Much better than the older MA's (modified achromats). And I'd council against buying any top-end EP's until you know what objects you will be looking for. And that information only comes after you've given yourself time to go hunting in the cosmos. Then you can upgrade with EP's more appropriate to your new-found interests.

And good EP's, such as Plossl's, can be sold used for around 70% of their original cost - which also tells one that when you are ready to upgrade, the 'used' marketplaces are great to check out for many bargains. Just take good care of them, and your re-sale should be easy and painless.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Plossl's are a great way to start. My first eyepieces where Meade 4000 series plossls from 26mm to 9.7mm. They still are my first choice on all my scopes. Whilst field of view doesn't come close to some of todays offering neither does the price. In the optical dept they are pin sharp and thats all I ask for.

Below 9.7mm I plumped for a set of Baader Genuine orthos 7-5mm. In this range plossls have such tight eyerelief you feel as though you need to superglue your eyeball to the glass. I know BGO's have even tighter field of views but they are used for planetary observing so that does,ny matter.

The humble Plossl. As Dennis said earlier on in the thread I started out with Plossl a good few years back, now I have gone through or still have; Most Meade 5000's,  Pentax XW's,  most Tele-Vues,  orthoscopics and now I am buying TV Plossl again. I hope now I have sort of gone full circle I do not start around again as I will run out of money.

The only cheaper Plossl  I have had was a Meade 4000 which was fine in an F 10 scope but not at all good at the edges in an F5.26 scope, TV are though.

Alan 

There's no doubt that TeleVue  are  renowned for their optical quality, but during a recent trial, I found my BST Starguiders more comfortable to use, with their wider field of view, and good  eye relief for my needs. You can return the BSTs if your not happy with them? Great value and should work well in your telescope. Only a test can confirm that.

........ You can return the BSTs if your not happy with them? Great value and should work well in your telescope. Only a test can confirm that.

You can return most things bought online if you are not happy with them, as long as you pay the return postage costs.

Skys the Limit (who sell the BST's) and a number of other dealers state that you have up to 14 days from receiving them. First Light Optics give you 30 days :smiley:

Archived