Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Astrophotography setup help

Hi guys. 

I was wondering if someone can please give me some advice on the following scopes as I decided to take the plunge and get myself a decent astrophotography starter scope and Camera setup.

I would like to know the difference between these two scopes as i cant find anything online to show the difference in picture and that its a $600 difference for me.

The "Advanced VX 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope"                     http://telescopeshop.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=673

and "Advacned VX 8" EdgeHD Telescope"                                        http://telescopeshop.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=704

I am also planning on getting a good Camera with this setup and from what i have read the Canon 60D looks like a good camera for the job. I would however like to know if there is a cheaper option available that does the same job?

Any help on this topic would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jack

For AP you really need a fast short focal length scope, as the ones above are SCT's they are long focal length and slow.

You can get a reducer but even with a reducer you are often with a slower scope then the unreduced scope that many pick for AP.

They will produce images but you will have to work harder to get a fair percentage of good ones. Likely you would need to guide one to get the best results.

AP can be a right pain to get going with.

There are just so many options.

If you go the SCT route you will need to spend 10 X as much on a mount for imagine, plus the guide camera, OAG, filter wheel and filters, why not test the water with a HEQ5 and a 150mm Reflector, then your just need a Coma Corrector and Camera, if the bug bites go for Guiding and EQMod with a laptop...Its a expensive part of the Astro Hobby for sure.....

For AP you really need a fast short focal length scope, as the ones above are SCT's they are long focal length and slow.

You can get a reducer but even with a reducer you are often with a slower scope then the unreduced scope that many pick for AP.

They will produce images but you will have to work harder to get a fair percentage of good ones. Likely you would need to guide one to get the best results.

AP can be a right pain to get going with.

There are just so many options.

Hi Ronin

Thank you for the reply. I got told by shop owner if i want to go AP then SCT's are the way to go. What are they used for if not for AP then? What scope do you recommend then if not the SCTS?

If you go the SCT route you will need to spend 10 X as much on a mount for imagine, plus the guide camera, OAG, filter wheel and filters, why not test the water with a HEQ5 and a 150mm Reflector, then your just need a Coma Corrector and Camera, if the bug bites go for Guiding and EQMod with a laptop...Its a expensive part of the Astro Hobby for sure.....

Hi Tinker

Thank you for the reply. The HEQ5 looks very interesting. What scope do you recommend when you say 150mm Reflector? And just a noob question, are reflectors ideal for AP?

Hello Jack - I'm a newbie also and have found the number of pathways that you can take to 'AP' quite confusing.  I did get hold of two books however that have been extremely useful: Steve Richards 'Making Every Photon Count'  and Jerry Lodriguss (CD-Rom) 'A Beginners Guide to DSLR Astrophotography.  

Lots of luck

Annie

This sounds really odd, but if you are interested in imaging and DSO's in particular then the mount is THE most important part of the imaging train. The SCT's are very good for planetary imaging, but not so good for DSO's.

Most DSO's (mostly nebulas in this case) are big - Have a look at a field of view calculator such as this one http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php to get a feel for a camera and scope combo.

A short focal length refractor (such as an ED80) would be an ideal starting point. AP is a difficult hobby at the best of times and you want stuff to be as easy as possible form the off. This sort of scope is as plug and play as you can get. Coupled with an HEQ5, this really is the basis for many an imagers rig. If you've not already done so, have a look in the imaging section and people will generally list the kit they have used. It will give you a good starting point.

If you can, get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' - something of a DSO imagers bible it will help you understand what you want and why.... this is important stuff and ignore it at your peril. Sure people start off with the kit you've mentioned, but make it as easy as possible and you will progress quicker and enjoy it more. Ultimately you want to be looking at taking long exposures - this is how you captures DSO's and start doing it well.

Hi Tinker

Thank you for the reply. The HEQ5 looks very interesting. What scope do you recommend when you say 150mm Reflector? And just a noob question, are reflectors ideal for AP?

The HEQ5 is designed for AP although its the bottom end people get very good results with it, as a Reflector the P-DS type are designed for AP and there cheap, so if you spend around £1200 and it doesn't work out you still have a viewing scope for DSO's , there are Refractors like the ED80 that work well and are not expensive but they suck a bit for viewing DSO's that are a bit dim....

Reflector

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-ota.html

Refractor

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-outfit.html

Mount

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

The advice above is spot on. I have attempted imaging with an SCT ( Sara has too) on an HEQ5 pro which worked out fine for planets but for deep sky it is quite a significant challenge. The key word in your post is 'starter' and for that I would recommend to keep it simple. Read the book mentioned and start with a wide field set up on a decent Equatorial mount. My link to Flickr below shows results with various telescopes.

Guys the advice you gave me is going to save me loads of cash as I would prob have bought the EdgeHD and be disappointed with it. I am definitely going with the HEQ5 as my starting mount and I will prob go for the Orion 8" f/3.9 or Orion 10" f/3.9. 

I also asked a question about the camera and what do you guys think of the Canon 60d, or would someone recommend something cheaper?

The choice of Mount is fine, but the Orion scopes may be a bit big for it, a NEQ6 is more suited, not to sure if the Orion scope will work in AP though you could have trouble getting a DSLR to focus, somebody who know's will be along soon... :)

I have checked out the fast scopes, there designed with AP in mind so should be fine, its the Mount (HEQ5) won't be bigger enough......

Okay so the better buy is the HEQ5 with Sky watcher 80ED Pro OTA 80mm refractor? 

Hi

I'd say that was a pretty good combo. You will also have to budget for a focal reducer/flattener. You might also like to consider a 130pds. Other things to budget for are a suitable camera (obviously), also cables, fittings, dew prevention. Ideally you want a reasonable laptop running Windows. You'll also need a guide scope. It's worth studying the subject before buying anything and deciding what your imaging preferences are. There is no one scope fits all but a good mount will allow you to get a second, longer focal length scope if you later desire.

Louise

Hi

I'd say that was a pretty good combo. You will also have to budget for a focal reducer/flattener. You might also like to consider a 130pds. Other things to budget for are a suitable camera (obviously), also cables, fittings, dew prevention. Ideally you want a reasonable laptop running Windows. You'll also need a guide scope. It's worth studying the subject before buying anything and deciding what your imaging preferences are. There is no one scope fits all but a good mount will allow you to get a second, longer focal length scope if you later desire.

Louise

Thanks Thalestris

Would you recomend the HEQ5 or the HEQ5 pro?

For a beginner's set-up I would avoid a newt, they're not bad at all, just a little bit more tricky than a 'fract. I'd be looking at a focal ratio no more than 6, especially with a DSLR.

Since you'll be needing a laptop anyway you might as well use it to control your mount, Cartes du Ciel and EQMOD, and a Syntrek HEQ5 so saving the money you would have spent on the synscan version.

Thanks Thalestris

Would you recomend the HEQ5 or the HEQ5 pro?

Hi

It depends on whether you want/need the hand controller. I have the heq5 syntrek which is the same as the pro but without the synscan hand controller. I just use the syntrek connected to a PC and control the mount purely via software.

Louise

For a beginner's set-up I would avoid a newt, they're not bad at all, just a little bit more tricky than a 'fract. I'd be looking at a focal ratio no more than 6, especially with a DSLR.

Since you'll be needing a laptop anyway you might as well use it to control your mount, Cartes du Ciel and EQMOD, and a Syntrek HEQ5 so saving the money you would have spent on the synscan version.

Good advice, I didn't think of that. So the basic HEQ5 should do the job as i will definitely invest in the software for the laptop in anyway. And Daves are you saying dont go with the 80ED? What scope will be at F/6 then?

Good advice, I didn't think of that. So the basic HEQ5 should do the job as i will definitely invest in the software for the laptop in anyway. And Daves are you saying dont go with the 80ED? What scope will be at F/6 then?

Um you don't want the basic heq5 - you want at least the syntrek. Do read up on things first!

Archived