NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder scope and flextube 300

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all out of ideas myself. Maybe in daylight find a st light or something much further away ?? TBH I have never had any problems with any of my finders and I have experienced a few now. Of them all I'd say the finder on my TAL200K was the fiddliest but that would align in the end. The finder shoe can be twisted side to side if your gentle but it sound to me that you are lacking up and down movement as apposed to side to side. My best suggestion is to ask if there are any fellow members living near by that may be able to offer assistance or see if there is an astronomy club near by. I believe the forum sponsor FLO are in the process of offering such details http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/229174-astronomy-society-finder/

I have just looked at the picture again, that finder does not look right, i have found the 9x50 sits nice and true on all the scopes i have used it on, with plenty of adjustment in all axis, there is a problem with yours just not sure what is wrong, i think i would be tempted to contact the place you bought it ftom 

I have just looked at the picture again, that finder does not look right, i have found the 9x50 sits nice and true on all the scopes i have used it on, with plenty of adjustment in all axis, there is a problem with yours just not sure what is wrong, i think i would be tempted to contact the place you bought it ftom 

Thats what made me think that the finder shoe was mis-aligned in some way. The finder would then have to be at an extreme angle in it's mount to compensate.

I had exactly the same problem as the OP when I first got my 12" flextube: the finder didn't have enough adjustment to align with the main scope. I solved it by putting a bit of folded paper under the finder bracket, inside the shoe, to wedge it up a bit in the right direction. It's still there now, 6 or so years later. An alternative option would be to try and adjust the primary so that alignment becomes possible - i.e. recollimate from scratch. But a little piece of paper is simpler, so I'd try that first.

Thanks guys I was trying to align with the moon and a low magnification ep... I'll try it in daylight at least the target won't be moving

And it's easier to see which screws you are adjusting too! :D

BTW - belated welcome to SGL to you both.

Okay, long shot, but with my finder I'd put the 'scope' bit in the 'mount' backwards. It seemed (and seems) bizarre to me that the stop on Skywatcher finder scopes seems to go at the back of the finder shoe. Anyway, I'd put mine in backwards and was having the divil of a job aligning it. (Though for what it's worth, I think yours is correct)

It certainly doesn't look like it is sitting correctly.  If you cannot get it sorted by yourselves then I suggest that you get someone from your local society to come and have a look. From your posts it appears that you bought it from a dealer and they have the responsibility to correct it so don't do anything that might further damage the telescope or finder.

Nigel

I don't think it is rocket science.

Just shim it with either a small wedge of wood,pecil,plastic etc untill it is straight.

Put Vega at the centre of the finder scope.

Put a 25mm eyepiece in and Vega should be in view if not just outside.

I'm glad you've had some success with the shim.

But, that's not good on a new 'scope.

I've always had a lot of lateral movement on my straight through finder, I could twist the finder and holder in the shoe to align it.

I got it out of the box (I have a RACI now) to try and emulate what you'd done and as you've said, it's way off!

Maybe there's something wedged under the bottom of the shoe, or excess paint on it and the rear of the finder holder?

If the shoe and finder holder look okay, the only other suggestion I can come up with is that the 'scope has had a bump, but I image you'd have noticed if the 'scope looked dented or deformed!

Are you far from the shop? I'd be tempted to take it back.

Best of luck getting it sorted. :)

It's crude but effective.

I think I have some of 3mm or 4mm thick X 12.5mm wide X 100mm long rubber strip somewhere.

PM me your address if you would like it and I will pop it in the post for you, (if I can find it), unless

your dealer outlet comes up trumps with the solution.

Well tonight we found out the problem with the finder scope.... The main scope was so far out of collimation that it made alignment impossible without matchstick shims! Solution: collimate main scope and the finder scope alignment becomes straightforward. Many thanks to Rik

Archived