Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Diffraction spikes

No, but if you put a cardboard aperture mask on the end of your scope that should do the job. Hexagonal would give you stars with six spikes and octagonal would give eight for example.

Be prepared for some posters to accuse you of blasphemy though. ;) (Personally, I like diffraction spikes in some images, although it depends on the scene and nature of the spikes.)

The crosswires will give you diffraction spikes but you said 'cool' diffraction spikes. Since all diffraction spikes are vile artefacts scribbled across the fair face ot the cosmos, and since the only ones I've seen have struck me as abominations (including my own) I really can't help you!!!

:grin: lly

As I posted a little while ago, diffraction spikes are perfectly natural - or at least no more unnatural than turning point sources into blobs, as a circular aperture does. Imperfections in our own eyes introduce them whenever we look at any bright lights. As a bonus we have two personal and unique views of the night sky available to us, one with each eye as they produce a different pattern of spikes. :) Stars really are spiky, or at least that's how we perceive them.

Archived