Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alignment and the moon

Just enjoyed an hour or so observing the moon, really impressed with the detail that both bst 8 and 15mm brought out in it.

Also impressed that my Rigel and raci both still seemed pretty well aligned and although I appreciate the moon is a big target this made getting it in my sights dead easy.

I thought I'd also have another go at polar alignment, I eventually got polaris in sight but had to put my latitude to about 60 and make some serious adjustment to my north facing tripod leg (even though I used a spirit level to set it straight to start with. Does this sound right??

I must have had a decent alignment as I kept the moon in view just using the ra slow motion control (the small one on the side, right?) And also then moved onto a bright star, capella I think, and kept this in view the same way. . there may have been some slight drift on the Dec axis but Yardley noticeable and seemed aligned well enough for my viewing

So did i achieve polar alignment? Not really sure due to the higher than expected latitude setting??

Cheers

Craig

You were a bit high for Hull, it comes out at about 53.75 so 54 would have been good/better, also less problem setting it.

Concerning:

I appreciate the moon is a big target this made getting it in my sights dead easy.

I do recall one post at full moon time where someone said "Help, I cannot locate the moon!"

I suspect people on SGL reading it all walked outside to check that it was still lthere, and it was.

With an EQ2 I suspect that you have done the best that you could manage easily for alignment, in effect level the thing as reasonable as possible, set the latitude to where you are, aim the rotational axis as much North as you can (compass or Polaris).

Should do fine for visual, and being limited on how much you can fiddle around with you will likely get decent alignment and quicker especially for visual. Set the mount to 54 degrees, then it is a case of setting tripod up to be level, head is already set, then just pointing the axis North - 3 minutes and off you go.

Was "Capella" sparkling with excessive colours?

I wouldn't worry too much with the latitude markings on the mount, my

Eq2 latitude is on 59 degrees which is wrong for my location, but it works

for me, if you are observing it doesn't have to be spot on,it's only if you

are imaging that it really matters, the setting circles are of no use either,

just make adjustments with the slow mo control knob when needed, as

long as you are getting good views of your targets, that's all that matters.

Just enjoy your session. Clear Sky's.  

It may be possible that your altitude scale isn't fitted correctly and maybe a few degrees out.

When I polar aligned my scope (SW130m), I found it was no where near what it should be (53d 34m), for my location. I just assumed that the scale was misaligned and ignored it.

I did wonder if it could be out. . .is using a spirit level on the accessory tray the best way to get the tripod level?

That's what I do and I turn it a few times to check the different axes. The scale is way out on my EQ2 as well. It typically ended up near 60 degrees.

Archived