Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How hard is it to build a telescope?

gooseholla

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I installed the handles with a bit of hassle. This was the last major thing to do to the scope. At the end of the day they are there to move the thing 10m at most, so I'm not too fussed if they aren't square or the holes drilled perfectly.

1459227_374095076122025_2899989915728604

They're held on with plastic knobs which are nyloc nutted to the handle. They go into flangeless inserts so they sit below the surface of the wood. Now that I can move it, I can actually use it! Before I would have to make sure I finished using it while people were about to help lift it back to the shed. It feels really light to lift and move about, but going around corners is a bit of fun! So is trying to see to get up the ramps into my shed, you can't see where the wheels are!

John

Nice one mate. 

The manoeuvrability of these type of twin tyre handles  is why I went for a single central tyre. This gives much better steering ability. 

If you are interested in converting yours take a look at my dob build thread there is some pics on there, or send me a PM and I'll be glad to explain how to do it :)

It isn't too hard if you start small, around 6'' or so; you need to practice so you'll have the skills to do the bigger mirrors. 

I find that the people who claim that its's next to impossible to do are the same folks who have never tried.

Hello all.

This isn't really a telescope update but more of a storage update. No one really seems to have dealt with living with a large telescope in their threads! If like me, you had no real idea how big a finished telescope would be, fear not! With a little cunning you too can fit it in a 6 x 4 shed without having to buy a new one! Basically yeah, stupid me didn't really ever think about having to store and get it in and out of a single door shed. But to save having to dismantle, buy and build a new shed we have done some modifications over the past couple of weeks.

As you can see, there'd be no way of getting it through the single door easily, especially with the handles on. The handles are 2.5x the length of the rocker, and with wheels, that comes to about 160 cm.

11406916_375598165971716_459797948216020

But, by converting a wall into a door, there is much more room to get in and swing the telescope around. This was easy enough to do, just unscrew the panel, reinforce the roof a bit so it doesn't sag and add some hinges.

11214186_375598162638383_147150153022542

Next I have to be able to get it in and out of the shed. Well when you buy a mirror from Nichol Optical it comes in a nice crate. I took the crate apart, glued the boards together to make to ramps.

11037711_375598182638381_695420485542580

These have two bolts through them to act as locator pins so that they are nice and secure but can be removed in seconds. These just locate into a block of wood which is screwed to  the front of the shed.

10154058_375598189305047_295838299826297

1480567_375598192638380_4319023370819555

Also, once wasted space provides an excellent place to store poles and boards out of the way. A bungee cord stops them falling out but allows fast removal.

11228504_375598195971713_183236904863419

Every modification to this shed was free! The wood I had from other projects. The hardware such as hinges came from my neighbour. But even if I had to buy everything, I couldn't see it costing more than £20. A lot less than the £200 or so it would have been for a new shed!

I guess the moral is, actually think about how big the scope is going to be first and build one that fits in what you have!! But with a bit of thinking and modifying even a normal garden shed can house a pretty large telescope, with room for other things, such as a tool cabinet!

I know I could of dismantled the handles for storage but what is the point if you are just going to put them on again to take it out?! :D

John

One of the original ideas I had was to leave the scope out and make a dog kennel on wheels! Basically a shed that moved, but it just wouldn't be viable in a rented house to start killing large patches of grass.

John

• 2 months later...

So friends been a while. Not really a summer observer. Over the summer done a few bits. Sorted the niggles out on my scope. Circumstances have changed since I built the scope. Got more knowledge and tools now so will be building new pole clamps. Look out for a proper review of the mirror coming days as I can view without worrying or fiddling now. Andromeda tonight hopefully. Can't wait!

John

Couple of positives from tonight:

1. I cut the telescope handles down from 160cm to 145cm. This means that they can stay on permanently as there is now enough room to swing it in the garden.

2. The poles can stay attached to the mirror box and go into the shed. This will save setting up time for sure. I tied them together with elastic bands to stop them swinging about wile moving the scope.

A couple of negatives though:

1. I think my Telrad has had it. One adjustment screw doesn't do anything and I couldn't get it lined up on anything tonight. When I did by the time I swung to the other side of the sky and back it was off again. I'll have a tinker with it tomorrow. If you can't even find Andromeda, or Deneb, or Vega... etc. you know the Telrad has issues!

2. So many stars!! Hard to find even the main stars of the constellations, especially around the milky way. OK, so not really a negative, but it is going to take some getting used to before I can star hop unaided again.

All in all happy that my work for setting up will be cut down by the handle and pole situation. Talking of poles, silly me forgot that I was meant to chop an inch and a bit off of them - been meaning to do it for three months now. Set up, no stars to be seen. Remember they are too high, so there was me with torch and tube cutter in the dark cutting down poles! Not something I'd recommend :D

John

12011256_401823640015835_453777697549534

Only thing left to do is sew a shroud.

Great to see an update John.

Looks like you've fettled her into a nice looking scope and nows the time to enjoy it.

Well done and keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to your viewing report with those mighty mirrors

Damian

Thanks.

Fixed the Telrad today. Put springs on each individual screw and it works much better than before and actually locks in place. Hopefully be able to see something tonight now.

Yeah reviews on the mirrors and Moonlite focuser coming soon. Going to be viewing objects I have documented well over the past few years so that I can directly compare to other scopes.

John

Hi Steve,

Yeah purchased some CEL 144 power tool range - not the greatest but good enough for me. Learned how to do all kinds of wood worky things - taken a keen interest in building things. Built planters, boxes, benches, shelving units, all sorts!

The upper clamps are going to be changed to the wedge type in the K + B book. Throw the wedge up bam rock solid clamps. I rejected doing this and opted for the setup I have because I didn't feel, at the time, that I had the skills or patience to make them. Certainly do now. The lower ones are fine but the holes are too big and knobs too small, so basically new length of beech drill some holes that are slightly smaller and install larger knobs to make tightening easier. Tried putting tape around poles or kydex in the holes, but it isn't really a satisfactory solution.

John

Hi Steve,

Yeah purchased some CEL 144 power tool range - not the greatest but good enough for me. Learned how to do all kinds of wood worky things - taken a keen interest in building things. Built planters, boxes, benches, shelving units, all sorts!

The upper clamps are going to be changed to the wedge type in the K + B book. Throw the wedge up bam rock solid clamps. I rejected doing this and opted for the setup I have because I didn't feel, at the time, that I had the skills or patience to make them. Certainly do now. The lower ones are fine but the holes are too big and knobs too small, so basically new length of beech drill some holes that are slightly smaller and install larger knobs to make tightening easier. Tried putting tape around poles or kydex in the holes, but it isn't really a satisfactory solution.

John

Sounds like you've had a busy time and like everything you pick up where you can improve and do things better.

Experience gained and some new tools to make things easier.

Will watch with interest John

Light baffle and dust cover

The astute among you will have noticed that the telescope has been missing its light baffle and dust cover. If this is you, feel free to award yourself a cookie. Such is life, I went to the same  timber yard to get plywood so that it would match and all they had was a completely different colour! However, I think it makes a nice contrast and makes it into a bit of a feature.

11986593_402409466623919_571535597450884

It is made from 6mm Marine ply. One half of a 4 x 2 sheet made the baffle and the other half the dust cover, with the cut out from the baffle glued on to reinforce it.

11998841_402350349963164_274054650915025

John

Looks like a great addition. Red ply that's unusual.

All the finishing touches just materialise over time. Notice you have a little plaque on there too.

Light shroud next, I've been thinking about one when I finally get my scope finished, think I will be calling on the skills of mother dearest.

Damian

just needs to be dragged to elan now!...congrats!

Yeah totally want to start taking it to star parties/ dark sites. Even bought a new car especially for taking it out and about. I was measuring the KIA estate with a tape measure and guy was asking why, I said "it needs to fit a telescope in"! He was quite perplexed.

John

Archived