Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

baader neodymium

Hi Roger,

Have one of these and it makes a huge difference with the light pollution but gives a colour cast which is easily corrected by taking some flat images which when used with your stacking software cancel out the colour shift. If you do a search on how to take flats there is lots of info on this site and others.

Brendan

I've used one of these for the last 4 years. It's the only filter i've deemed worthwhile and worth keeping. I find it helps with Mars and Jupiter visually. Darkens the background sky for visual Deepsky, thus increasing the contrast. And helps no end with short (upto 2mins) exposures with the DLSR. A really versatile filter.

Worth noting that it can't match an Astronomics CLS for long exposure imaging. And doesn't replace an OIII or UHC-S for visual views of emission nebula. But it's far less harsh than your average LPR filter. Doesn't cut off so much light and the colour shift is very minor indeed.

Russ

Interesting (albeit slighty nerdy!) to look at the Baader "transmission curves". They are, as they say, a Red-Green-Blue enhancing filter - Or rather block the intermediate secondary colours - orange, yellow, cyan etc. - Ergo Contrast! Much like the "Contrast Filter" , preferred for Achromatic refractors. I suspect the latter combine a basic "neodymium" coating with a "Fringe killer" (Minus Violet) to get a similar effect. Effects can also be seen, by simply looking at your (colour) TV. Idem the infamous orange street lamps, which certainly DO appear significantly reduced by such filters... :wink:

I think it depends on where you live. The streetlamps in Edinburgh seem to be mostly the newer type and I found the Neo filter rubbish! BUT.... it's another story when looking at Mars! Much more contrast, could see a hint of detail on the planet that was not there without the filter.

Archived