NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Crayford for SCT

Hi all

Am looking to get one for my SCT the top drawer stuff such as moonlite etc  are out of my budget so my question is are all the budget versions such as Skywatcher , Revelation, Antres , TS optics etc ( a little more money)  all the same with different names or are some of the cheaper ones better quality than others

Thx

Kev

Thanks for your help all, have now managed to find some older SGL comments on this focuser deffo looks the best  available in that price range  so looks like the one I shall order

Kev

Please do a little review when you do :)

Many of the less expensive models appear to be exactly the same thing with a different logo on.  Between those and the Moonlite or Feathertouch bracket is the Baader Steeltrack, but they seem to be near unobtainable these days.

Unless you're desperate to have a Crayford however, I'd also suggest looking at the R&P version of the Revelation focuser.  I used the Crayford for my PST mod because it will never carry that much weight, but for the secondary focuser on my C9.25 which may well end up carrying a flip mirror, filter wheel and moderately large CCD (ie. not a planetary cam) I decided that the R&P might be a better bet.

James

Hi James, I thought the Revelation Focuser that Earl linked to was R&P?

Ian

It is indeed.  My comment was intended to support Earl's suggestion of an R&P rather than the Crayford in the thread title.  I perhaps wasn't sufficiently clear -- I'd not long been back from an hour and a half swimming and was a little tired :)

James

Many of the less expensive models appear to be exactly the same thing with a different logo on.  Between those and the Moonlite or Feathertouch bracket is the Baader Steeltrack, but they seem to be near unobtainable these days.

Unless you're desperate to have a Crayford however, I'd also suggest looking at the R&P version of the Revelation focuser.  I used the Crayford for my PST mod because it will never carry that much weight, but for the secondary focuser on my C9.25 which may well end up carrying a flip mirror, filter wheel and moderately large CCD (ie. not a planetary cam) I decided that the R&P might be a better bet.

James

Not fussed if it a Crayford mech or not tbh don't really understand the difference apart from a R&P version eliminates the chances of slippage ? I assume a R&P is just as smooth as a Crayford  and also being a bit weighty will it upset the goto / balance of my CPC

Thanks

Kev  

If you're not using the locking mechanism then I'd say the R&P has less tendency to slip than the Crayford (especially at the less expensive end of the market) at the expense of a small amount of backlash in the movement.  I certainly don't find my R&P any less smooth than the Crayford (or, at least, I didn't -- I've motorised them both now).

They're not that heavy really.  Certainly not compared with the lump of glass in the back of the C11 OTA.  So I don't think they'll disturb the balance of the CPC significantly.  What might be worth checking is whether you have clearance for the focuser between the OTA and the base.  If not, I notice that FLO do have a customer return Feathertouch microfocuser for the C11 in their clearance section at the moment.

James

If you're not using the locking mechanism then I'd say the R&P has less tendency to slip than the Crayford (especially at the less expensive end of the market) at the expense of a small amount of backlash in the movement.  I certainly don't find my R&P any less smooth than the Crayford (or, at least, I didn't -- I've motorised them both now).

They're not that heavy really.  Certainly not compared with the lump of glass in the back of the C11 OTA.  So I don't think they'll disturb the balance of the CPC significantly.  What might be worth checking is whether you have clearance for the focuser between the OTA and the base.  If not, I notice that FLO do have a customer return Feathertouch microfocuser for the C11 in their clearance section at the moment.

James

Thanks James

I will be going for this one now certainly looks best of the bunch in this price range from the few images I could find I think there is just about room with a little clearance

Kev

If you want any measurements, let me know.

James

Thanks James      I will find out soon enough as order is placed trouble is find it hard to just order one thing it will be arriving with some   WO binoviewers and a ZWO asi 120mc :grin:

Kev

Archived