NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The True extent of the Pacman ........NGC281 in mono

swag72

I have 44 fits in total :D  When I looked at some individual stacks there was no gradient evidence. Also, as I went along I processed at the 20, 30 and 44 subs stage. I watched the build up of the detail with the sub increase ............ so I figured that it was real :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have considered imaging the Pacman but it always seemed rather dull to me but this really brings out that extra something :)  I shall be very interested to see your colour version Sara, as I love colour and you really have the knack of producing beautifully colourful images :)

You can link the hydrogen cloud up right over to the Heart & Soul nebula with dark enough skies Sara, and probably a higher bandpass Ha filter maybe, 6 or 7nm. Not sure if it's worth it though other than for academic purposes, pretty featureless area really.

Did I read a couple of comments right in the thread that the Pacman is a boring target????  It's not fantastic in RGB granted, but with narrowband filters it becomes one of the most unusual targets in the northern sky, and also one of the brightest SII targets, if there is such a thing.

Tim

A real achievement would be to give depth and structure to the black dense dust cloud. From what I can make out it is a multi layered thing with some extremely bright stuff going on inside, but it always tends to look flat in pictures. They reckon that dinky little bok globules may have enough mass over time to create new stars, so there just has to be something remarkable going on within that dark structure.

So what are we looking at?

Extremely bright Ha target, with good Oiii elements, and even decent SII signal, bok globules, an extremely tight triple (or more) star at the core, the densest dust clouds this side of Andromeda, good position through most of the year, perfect size for the optimum resolution when imaging, and surrounded by a mass of gold and blue stars......

You're right, it IS boring, going back to NGC 7332!

:p

Archived