Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep sky imaging from scratch??

Hi

I have recently just joined stargazers lounge, equipped wiht my Canon 60d and various lenses,

I am really interested in capturing some of these stunning deep space images of star clusters and nebula,

So i have a few questions,

Obviously i need someway of tracking the object using the long exposures,

Best telescope for using on deep sky images to connect my Canon 60d,

also i am aware of the deep sky stacker,

I am a complete beginner when it comes to any star gazing , i have just been looking at the moon through my 300mm canon lense on the tripod,

So really im after any advice, if there is anyone local to me would be great, if possible to meet up for a chat etc?

Cheers in advance

Craig

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Craig I'm in Harrogate but there is a society nearer to you (Wakefield).  They have a section on here so if you look under Social Groups forum at Yorkshire Astronomers you will find them.  if you are a beginner it is very important to approach those more experienced if you want to image and you need very deep pockets.

Right. The very first thing to buy is "Making Every Photon count" by Steve Richards, steppenwolf of this forum, available from FLO.

Read it twice, think long and hard then read it again.

While you are doing that ask plenty of questions here, and consult your Bank Manager regarding overdrafts.

Humph...Zakalwe and Chris posted while I was taking a call from the stupid social services about mum who died near 2 years ago :mad:

Hi Craig I'm in Harrogate but there is a society nearer to you (Wakefield).  They have a section on here so if you look under Social Groups forum at Yorkshire Astronomers you will find them.  if you are a beginner it is very important to approach those more experienced if you want to image and you need very deep pockets.

Thanks for that, im probably closer to harrogate, than i am wakefield to be honest, I have been put onto dobsonian telescopes?

Dobs are great for visual but no good for imaging.  As you can see from my signature I have both options.  If you want to meet in Harrogate sometime it may be I can answer a lot of your questions.  Just PM me when you like.

Well if you really *must* I suppose you could buy an EQ3-2 with a RA motor and mount your camera and lenses on it, then use AstroPhotographer's Tool to capture your images, that would come in around the £300 mark.

Beyond that you're realisticly looking at four figure budgets and up...

+1 for the book mentioned above.

Basicly you're looking at a HEQ-5 and a 80ED refractor.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-pro-heq5-pro.html

Ideally you can fiddle about with different scopes, depending on what focal length you want to shoot at, and if you really want to be upgrade-safe for a while, settle for a NEQ-6 mount.

If you spend any less you will run the risk of wanting to upgrade soon, and with cheaper gear you will not get consistent results, something that may cause you to quit altogether. So while you can use the EQ3-2 mentioned above to a degree, it's far from ideal. Very far.

Then you have to realise it's a slippery slope when you need guiding equipment, better scopes/cameras/warm clothers and a good supply of jaffa cakes.

Agree with Carl here, but the classic "budget" rig of HEQ5 / ED80 / Flattener-Reducer comes in at just under £1200

The rig I use in my sig come in at around the £4.5k mark.

The EQ3-2 will at least get you started with your camera and lenses and is light enough to take anywhere, while beeing cheaper than the true portables such as the Astrotrak or Vixen Polarie.

First question is how serious and how much budget have you?

There is really just so many options that asking "What do I need?" has not an easy answer.

At the buget end there is something like a 70-72mm ED refractor, on say an EQ5 with dual motors.

The EQ5 should hold a 70mm and a DSLR and the assorted accessories.

That will get you going and I guess £800-1000 will cover the cost.

BUT, there is no expansion built in, for longer exposures you need a goto, and then guiding, you could want a better scope (apo), all mean more weight so that means a bigger mount. Which when you look at it means throw everything and buy bigger and better all over again. Goto, apo, guiding etc likely comes to £2000-2500.

Then good mono ccd and filters add say £2000 again.

So that is why I say How serious and how much is the budget.

As a "start" I would be temmpted by a small scope (lightish in weight) and the iOptron SmartEQ.

You get the goto immediatly and a 70mm refractor and camera should come to about 3.5Kg so you still have spare capacity.

Mount is £450 and scope (ED) say £300 (not sure, seems about right)

The catch is that I know people who do not have "expensive" imaging rigs and they have spent £10,000-12,000 on them, and I suspect more if they were honest with themselves.

Accessories required: Remote timer fo long and multiple exposures, Power source (deep cycle battery).

If your LP is from sodium lights then a good filter will help, such as the Astronomik CLS I use. or you could try the Hutech IDAS P2, if it's white light from LED or CFL lamps then your only hope is narrow-band using a CCD. Most "budget" packages come in around the £2000-£2500 mark.

I've not been imaging long at all and using an HEQ5 pro with a skywatcher 130pds ad a canon 1100d.

I live in a very light polluted area and whilst the initial outcomes look 'naff', getting the detail out is all in the post processing in something like photoshop.

Thanks

Garry

Regarding Deep Sky imaging, I would say that you firstly need to decide what level you want to achieve. There are a big differences in the types of images you will see on the forum.

Some folks are happy to be able to produce an image that shows the target - whatever the quality, It is their image produced with their kit. Others want to produce perfection. I am not saying here that one is more valid or of a better quality than the other. 

Be realistic about what you want to achieve. Go onto the imaging forum and decide that for yourself. If you want to be able to produce as close to perfection as you can, then it's going to cost a lot of money. If you are happy to have an image with some faults (I really do not mean that in a patronising way - Just in a factual way) then it can be done much, much cheaper.

So you decide what you want to achieve, how far you want to take it. Read Steve's book and do not spend a single penny until you know what you want and why you want it.

Some folks use DSLR's and others use Astro CCD camera's - Some of these then use colour and some mono! In the imaging section though, people generally say what kit they have used, so that you can see.

It's a mine field!!

It depends on budget, but quite often people will start off learning with their DSLR (Canons are favorite) then if the bug bites hard they will stump up for a CCD / wheel / filters.

To give you an idea, the Trius 694 / filter wheel and a full set of Baader LRGB and NB filters from Ian King came to just over £2700.

The advice already given is sound but you can start off in AP with a DSLR some lenses and a fixed tripod with good results, the cheaper EQ mounts can work reasonably well if you stick to shorter focal lengths and can teach you a lot without breaking the bank.

Alan

The advice already given is sound but you can start off in AP with a DSLR some lenses and a fixed tripod with good results, the cheaper EQ mounts can work reasonably well if you stick to shorter focal lengths and can teach you a lot without breaking the bank.

Alan

Obviously with this though, you will end up with star trails as the camera is not tracking?

Archived