Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

moving secondary for photography

Hi all,

I am wanting to use my 130p skywatcher for AP but know I need to move the secondary mrror, i haven't a clue how to do it and am hoping someone could help me out with advice on how its done.

many thanks in advance

Bungielad.

Oh......thought it was secondary mirror that had to be moved? Ok in that case....how do I move the primary and where to?

Also what are nose collers, how do these work and where do I get them from?

Apologies for all the questions, just eager to know.

Bungielad.

one that is shorter than you have now, a replacement?

How much extension is added to the camera by way of tubes. I'm just developing an image for you. the three components are the T-ring, the 2-1.25" adaptor without extension tube, and the 2" eyepiece adaptor.

All three fitted gives you more outward focus, just using the middle adaptor  with the T-ring should reduce the focal length.

I use the t ring and t ring nose adapter, I have tried not using the nose adapter to get further inn but no luck, in the end what I did was chop off about 5mm off the focus tube as so to reach focus. ....and it did but, unfortunately, now to try to collimate the scope is a nightmare due to the focus tube is to lose.

I am getting a new focuser for the 130p due to me messing up the other one but dont want to go down the same route again.

This is why I want to find out about moving the mirror. If I could get a focuser that fits the 130p without doing much modding then I would....know of any? That dont cost more than the scope!

I have the 200p coming soon on eq5 but wanted to use the 130p on the eq5 mount for AP.

Bungielad.

.........so not too drastic a modification then? there's gotta be something to say about that :embarassed:  but whats done is done, to your loss at present :mad:  Don't be  chopping any more bits or adding anything just yet. let someone else take a look at your signature setup, and hopefully provide you a better solution. Unfortunately, I know of no second hand focusers for sale, but you never know, one may turn up. 

Hi

You might be better off just getting a 130pds ota (£165 from FLO) rather than messing about so much. Failing that you could try a low-profile t-ring. I'm not sure you can get a low-profile focuser for the 130p. In any case, not worth the extra expense.

Hth

Louise

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lurking around this forum for months taking good advice and having nothing to contribute until now. So thank you Bungielad!

Anyway I have a 130p and had the same problem with inwards travel (tis quite common I've heard). I too cut a section of the focsuer off. I even had to go a step further and extend the primary mirror down the tube before I was able to reach prime focus.

I also had a problem with collimation after cutting the focuser tube. All I did to rectify this is put a couple of layers of electrical tape around the focuser tube, made a line where my DSLR reached focus and collimated at that line. It sounds silly but it worked and has continued doing so without modification for about 9 months.

I have some pictures of the focsuer and mirror mod somewhere if you're intersted? I can't post them at the moment though as I'm at work and their at home.

Archived