which autoguider

Hi everyone I'm  want to try autoguiding, but also i also want to image jupiter as well (can't get mars and saturn as they are behind the house and there 3 street lights in close proximity) I was looking at the QHY5-2 but every time i read some thing good about it i find also that people put things on about them freezing and not working properly, so i'm looking for alternatives any views?

Qhy5l II would work as a guide camera or a solar system camera. I have never had any problems with mine freezing. The Zwo asi120m has the same chip as the qhy & is also highly regarded. Either would do you proud but both mount differently to your focuser so that needs to be taken into consideration. The Zwo is also more expensive I believe.

The write up in The Sky at Night suggested that there Zwo froze whilst using Firecapture but they didn't appear to have problems with Sharpcap

Linky

I have been informed that I can havet an autoguider for xmas (I'm soo lucky) but have a choice between the two you've mentioned or get just an autoguider like the Orion Starshoot.

Choices, choices :grin:

The write up in The Sky at Night suggested that there Zwo froze whilst using Firecapture but they didn't appear to have problems with Sharpcap

Linky

I have been informed that I can havet an autoguider for xmas (I'm soo lucky) but have a choice between the two you've mentioned or get just an autoguider like the Orion Starshoot.

Choices, choices :grin:

Cameras do not freeze, computer USB ports do if they get interupted by one thing or the other. ASI 120MM can download a huge amount of data on to the computer in a very short time and if the computers specs are not up to scratch these can cause problems such as multiple devices using the same USB hub. They are now going to bring a USB3 version out that is even faster but should be trouble free due to increased band width, well relatively. I have been imaging and guiding with the ASI for over 14 months now and on the few occasions that I have had problem it has been the software, usually PHD guiding hugging computer resources. A relaunch of the software and disconnecting the USB cable usually does the trick. You must also make sure that you use a very high quality USB cables any where in the imaging chain. Both the QHY5LII and the ASI120MM are very fine planetary/guide cameras.

A.G

I have qhy5_11 I did have some freezing issues but this I think was a sw /computer issue, some issue was from ezplanetary software though you can use firecapture  not had any problems apart from that id recommend, the plus is its smaller than the zwo and is cheaper to start off as in the zwo comes with extra lenses as standard the qhy you buy as and when you need /can afford think its £100 think its two lenses ones a standard webcam lens and a fish eye and I think a guiding holder for cam ,zwo have now released a usb3 version and qhy have a 5mp cam coming out not sure on prices though  

Archived