Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

off axis guiding question

yes the guide stars with an OAG can look a bit dodgy

If fact I have guided relatively successfully with seagull shapes and lines

If you can pop the prism in a bit further without showing in your train they should improve a bitr

Also make sure that the face of the prism is square to the focuser, I noticed there is nothing to stop mine being put in at an angle, this gives very odd stars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd sink the periscope in till you see the shadow and then back it out again just so the shadow vanishes. You have lots of spare illumination with your setup. This is something you can do in daylight just taking flats (which you won't be using as flats!  :grin: )

Olly

Wow, what good advise and explanations!! Many thanks all..i don't always ask the right question but if you , just goes to show what help is availablelast

Software last night...maxim...

I'll have a look at "dropping the periscope Olly" but to be fair, they did improve after I upped the sub time from 2 to 3 sec and on top of that when I eventually got around to trying it, the atmospherics were terrible.

Loads of moisture in the air...guiding was awful but I was only using it for trying out things....It calibrated o.k but the red lines axis was way of the centre of the star.

Need to now test it on a good night.

Ray

Archived