In dark sky reserve, <£100 starter scope?

Hi all,

First off, I am very aware that a telescope <£100 is not going to get one very much and that going for binoculars may be a better option. However, my in-laws live in a dark sky reserve, and thoroughly enjoy the night sky. They occasionally talk about getting a telescope, and one of their birthdays is coming up. So I thought it'd be nice to get them a cheap and cheerful scope to see if it can generate enough inspiration to turn into a hobby (then they can invest a bit more). 

I was thinking of this guy, but the tripod looks quite flimsy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-114-900-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B009X5QPM0/ref=sr_1_17?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1412631913&sr=1-17&keywords=telescope

This could be another option: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bushnell-Voyager-4-5-Dobsonian-Reflector-Telescope-/121127363060?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item1c33c0e1f4

Any advice would be appreciated!

Best,

Ash

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

It's finding the balance between something to entice their interest rather than something that puts them off.

You choose both rreflector on a dobsonian base in your links. Get the most mirror for your money but not sure they are the best for your money.

Do you think they may also use a telescope in the day to look at the views?

Hi, if you definitely can't stretch to 130 pounds for the Heritage 130 in auspoms link, I can very much vouch for the Heritage 100p now only 89 pounds.

These little scopes are great if you have a garden table to plonk them on, very easy and comfortable to use and the optics are great for the money :-)

Very good advice from Auspom. Not having used the 130 Heritage, or either of the scopes you have mentioned, I won't comment on these.

I will though say that in general listen to the good advice on here that will coming flooding in. Visit an astronomy shop near to you if possible to have a prod and poke at what is available. Is there an astro club nearby you could visit?

One other thought. I know a lot of people think of new items for presents. But 2nd hand scopes are often well looked after and some get sold after very little use. I once bought a Skywatcher 200P that was still in manufacturer's warranty. It was bigger than the buyer had realised so he was looking for something smaller. Though used scopes on ebay are best avoided unless you really know what to look out for. Most of my scope purchases have been from the used market. This has allowed me to get more scope per ££ spent.

Thanks for the prompt responses and suggestions, guys. We may stretch to the 130 Heritage if we can't convince ourselves with something a bit cheaper.

Beyond the ease-of-use and aperture, what other factors are important to consider (within this price-range)? i.e. what distinguishes the Heritage 100p from the two I suggested in the opening post? 

Thanks again!

Thanks for the prompt responses and suggestions, guys. We may stretch to the 130 Heritage if we can't convince ourselves with something a bit cheaper.

Beyond the ease-of-use and aperture, what other factors are important to consider (within this price-range)? i.e. what distinguishes the Heritage 100p from the two I suggested in the opening post? 

Thanks again!

The problem with buying a 'scope on a tripod is that a certain amount of the price goes on the tripod and to be honest, it will most likely shake around terribly. I know nothing about bushnell scopes so can't comment. Skywatcher is a well established and well thought of brand especially where beginner 'scopes are concerned.

As always, just my opinion (and of course the right one ;) ).

Hmm, just tripped over this .. which I think will rule out the Bushnell choice: http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Voyager-114mm-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B000F4GIDE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Agreed, regarding the tripod.

So I guess it's between the 100 and 130 Heritage. I noticed the 130 does not come with a x2 barlow lense -- is that an issue?  

Good point, happy-kat. It would definitely be a social thing between the 4 of us. No tripod, but a sturdy garden bench. Though I know plenty about astrophysics, I'm definitely a novice with astronomy (i.e. is a x2 barlow an important bit of kit?) 

Barlow no not a deciding factor for me, I would prefer at a later date to get a better quality eyepiece to go with what ever you decide.

No sturdy camera tripod that rules out my other thought.

A reflector (the heritage scopes) gives an inverted image so not much use for day time viewing (not the sun!).

There are member reviews on both scopes on this site.

Not directly commenting on the 'scope but please buy from a reputable astro dealer (Hint, Amazon and Ebay are NOT reputable astro dealers).

Click the sponsor's flag at the top of the page, they have a beginner's 'scope page, and will give you service that's second-to-none.

Good point, happy-kat. It would definitely be a social thing between the 4 of us. No tripod, but a sturdy garden bench. Though I know plenty about astrophysics, I'm definitely a novice with astronomy (i.e. is a x2 barlow an important bit of kit?) 

No, not really. It'd be useful for planets - I find a 5mm eyepiece is about the maximum power useful for my 130p (That would match a 10mm with a x2 barlow) - but we're going to have a few months waiting on Jupiter coming around, and not much planetary to look at until then. I wouldn't worry about that too much - stick with the 10mm and 25mm it comes with, and enjoy the wide fields of view of the Andromeda Galaxy, etc.. In my opinion, magnification is usually overrated; what you want is aperture for light gathering and resolution...

I really like my wee 130p. You can fit it to a tripod - I have an AZ4 that I use sometimes - but the tripod cost more than the scope did originally. It's good bang for buck.

It does respond well to upgraded eyepieces in the future too. But again good eyepieces do creep up in price and what is in the box will get you oing.

I would also buy http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

You can make one though I am happy using this very reflective underneath so easy to see what is going on with the mirror. You do not need this with the 100p as the primary mirror cell can't be changed but I would have the 130p lol I have one and a small refractor.

I went for some advice from First Light Optics directly regarding the 100p and 130p, and got this from Martin:

"The 100 is a new telescope from Skywatcher, in my personal opioion is it a better build than the 130p, more sturdy. The 100 has received very good feed back. It also has a factory collimated and fixed primary mirrow. The 130 will need to be collimated regually ( reflectors/Newtonians all need regular collimation normally, its part and parcel with this type of telescope) the 100 with its fixed primary mirror avoids most of this, and collimation if needed is simply via the secondary mirror."

Regarding a Barlow lense, he said:

"I would not worry about a barlow for now, Both telescopes come with 2 eyepieces, a high power ( the 10mm) and a low power (the 25mm). A barlow will make the 25mm into a 12.5mm which is very close to the 10mm you will have, and the barlow with the 10mm will make it into a 5mm and will not be a nice experience, the 10mm is a stock eyepiece and usable on its own, but not good with a barlow. If you find you really enjoy the hobby then upgrading the eyepieces would be a better move, this will improve your experience more so than a barlow lens."

He also suggested a Moon Filter as an accessory.

What are your thoughts, guys :)?

Thanks again for all the advice, by the way!

Barlow is as I commented and I agree.

Moon filter can get away with sun glasses (do not look at sun!). I would rather buy a better eyepiece then a moon filter then next get a moon filter.

It is easy to collinate the mirror on the 130p.

I would suggest you read reviews of the 100p that are on this site to get an idea on using it. :-)

Hmm, just tripped over this .. which I think will rule out the Bushnell choice: http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Voyager-114mm-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B000F4GIDE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Agreed, regarding the tripod.

So I guess it's between the 100 and 130 Heritage. I noticed the 130 does not come with a x2 barlow lense -- is that an issue?  

Hi Ash, the one you have linked to cannot be shipped to the UK.  Another bit of advice, only look at astronomy retailers, you are more likely to get a decent scope.  The suggestions above are excellent for your price range.

Some people find Moon filters useful, others don't.  It is true that the Moon can appear painfully bright until your eye adjusts and a filter may help there.  I'd give it a whirl without first and see what it's like.

James

Hi Ash,

I have used the Skywatcher Skyhawk for about 4 years now and have found it to be a very reliable steady scope that gives great views of everthing I want to look at.

And all for under £125

Here's another option similar to above, Celestron make very nice scopes.

equatorial mounts can be a bit more fiddly for beginners, but once the are mastered they offer easier smoother tracking of objects via an optional motor drive or supplied slow motion controls.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-astromaster-series/celestron-astromaster-130eq-telescope.html

Archived