Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon seeing conditions 4/10

Gadget

Just wondered if anyone has been observing the moon tonight if so how was your seeing conditions as even though sky looked clear for me the viewing was awful in anything but a very low power eyepiece last time I  viewed the moon the views were crisp sharp even at very high mags but tonight any med/high power views would not focus very well had the odd few seconds when the view was nice but the features were going in and out of focus as I observed almost like viewing through smoke or something I know it wasn't down to cooling as scope is kept in unheated building and always set up couple hrs before use

Kev

I've been observing the Moon plus Nepture, Uranus and a few other bits and bobs this evening with my 12" dob. It's not the best seeing I've had but far from the worst too so I'd give it 7/10 here. 318x was quite usable on the Moon and Uranus and Neptune showed quite crisp planetary disks at 400x or so. Can't complain really, it's been a decent one here.

Sorry yours was not so good - another evening it could be the other way around !

I've been out (very pleased with that) had stable conditions up to about 150x.. My next step up is nearly 240x which was a bit jumpy... Not box of frogs jumpy but enough for me to scale it back a bit... Also preferred the simple tv plossls to the ES... Just crisper in the f11.. Still a lovely sight that ol moon!

Managed my first satisfactory view of the Moon using my WO SPL6mm. The image was very jumpy but I think that was heat loss through the door I was sitting next too. But what I could see was the best view the eye piece had given me it was detailed and sharp though wibbling. I think I need to make an extended light shield for my heritage I am getting such a visible secondary mirror spot on the viewed image not pleasant. I guess in my local LED light issue a scope with no central obstructions would be better.

I was out last night at the York AS observing site with several others. We had some fantastic views of Sinus Iridium, Clavius, Schiller and Poseidonius through a couple of Skywatcher 180 Maksutov, even getting good views with a barlowed Celestron Ultimate LX 8mm eyepiece giving 675x magnification. There was some atmospheric disturbance but not enough to prevent lots of detail being visible. Both scopes had no problems with dew although 2 others were badly affected. All in all we had a really good session

Regards, AlanP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The seeing here was quite good, had a couple of hours observing the Moon, it was quite 

steady not much turbulence, much better than my last session, even with the Moon being

very bright M57 was a pleasure to observe, M13 and M92 were spectacular, the dew shield

I made seems to help in both departments, especially keeping out stray light.  

It's often the case that the most transparent skies are not the most stable for high magnification viewing a slightly hazy sky is often better.

I was imaging last night and my 10 min subs looked surprisingly good as they came in. I may change my mind later when I've processed them.

Interesting thread, I like many others was out viewing, mainly Luna, and had some great fairly steady views at up to 150x. 

It had been very wet, cloudy and windy all day and although I set up on my lawn was not hampered by dew as I had half expected, also by the time I was out viewing the wind had dropped to almost nothing.

Altogether a very pleasing night.

Well I looked at my subs and realised that I must sort out my alignment and balance, should have rung alarms when the EQMOD guide trace looked like the Himalayas and even the dec was showing activity. I think I may have knocked the tripod. Anyway they look like write offs which is a bit annoying.

The sooner I get my patio re-layed and a pier put in the better. I'll buy an Avalon M-Uno to put on it, no meridian flip needed.

Archived