NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dual mounting 130P-DS scopes

Robp

Morning all,

I managed to get my guiding sorted on my rig last night and had zero throwaway subs on five minute exposures. Hopefully the graph watching addiction that is associated with this will subside?

Having achieved this personal milestone I think I should celebrate by moving on to my next project.

My rig is currently a HEQ5, 130P-DS, Canon DSLR and a finder guider. I’m thinking to make the most of my limited imaging time it would be useful to run two imaging rigs at the same time.

I have a second Canon DSLR already so was contemplating grabbing another 130P-DS and dual mounting them on my HEQ5.

Has anyone done this before that could offer advice?

Is this a crazy idea that wouldn’t work?

Would it be too much for the HEQ5 to handle/image with?

Any advice is appreciated as its not something I have done before!

Has anyone done this before that could offer advice?   - Probably not

Is this a crazy idea that wouldn’t work?  - Sounds crazy

Would it be too much for the HEQ5 to handle/image with?  - You need to calculate the total payload - two cameras, two telescopes ( 2x3.66kg )+mounting hardware. Max imaging payload is about 10 kg

I was just putting together a weight list as well :grin:

Each camera will be 475g

The QHY5L-ii is listed at 45g

Everywhere I look states the 130P-DS OTA is around 4KG. I’m guessing this will be without rings so this will leave me with around 1KG to play with for two sets of rings and a single finder.

I'll give my current 130P-DS a weigh when I get home from work.

Archived