Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB can you? would you? other....

Earl

Im looking at my setup, currently I run like this:

Laptop

USB Port 1

this goes to my 4 port serial adapter for Mount control and Dome control.

USB Port 2

This goes to my Mount Hub which has 3 ports and runs these mission critical systems:

Lodestar

QSI

Focuser

USB port 3

This goes to a powered 4 port Hub on my Scope which has:

Flip Flat

Unihedron

GPS

At present this mean I have 2 USB leads going to the scope, 1 power to the mount hub and 1 power going back down to the mount.

Im debating the pros of running the Hub of the Mount hub and running the focuser controler off the hub, this device has its own power input. to reduce one USB lead going up the mount, and also running the mounts power up the mount rather than off the hub again sacing on 1 lead coming own the mount.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just watch out for accidentally adding USB v1.1 devices onto a USB v2 hub. Depending on the specifics (of the device, of the hub, of the computer, of the drivers, of the operating system) this can slow all the traffic on that hub down to USB v1.1 speeds. Not what you want for your cameras.

This link explains the reasons.

Just watch out for accidentally adding USB v1.1 devices onto a USB v2 hub. Depending on the specifics (of the device, of the hub, of the computer, of the drivers, of the operating system) this can slow all the traffic on that hub down to USB v1.1 speeds. Not what you want for your cameras.

This link explains the reasons.

Yep This is my main concern I think it best for me to keep the Cameras on there own dedicated port and off the Mount hub to avoid any slow down.

Not a good idea to daisy-chain hubs (one hub going into another hub then to computer). Better to use a single (quality) 7-port hub at the scope with a single cable running back from that. I can only tell you that in the past when I;ve tried to daisy-chain hubs there have been 'issues'. I don't have the technical details to argue the case, just a personal recommendation based on experience.

ChrisH

It's also worth bearing in mind that the USB spec. doesn't permit daisy-chaining a bus-powered hub off another bus-powered hub (it should be powered from an independent 5V supply - "self-powered"). Although there are many non-compliant hubs available that "spoof" their characteristics: including telling downstream hubs that they are self-powered when in fact they are bus-powered.

That's one reason so many people have prob;ems with USB. :embarrassed:

I've found that quality counts when it comes to USB hubs and would have no hesitation in recommending one from the StarTech industrial range: http://uk.startech.com/Search?search_term=industrial+usb+hub

They're not cheap but they simply work without any fuss and they're 12V powered which makes them easy to integrate with all your other 12V powered astro kit.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the Startech. Their 7 port is on my equipment list when I get my other diy projects done. I specifically like the fact that you wire this up yourself as I am switching all 12v cigarette plugs to XLR or PowerCon locking connections.

Although I assume the Kendrick equip is very good, why is all their equipment so expensive? Rhetorical quetion, I know they are a business.

USB Port 1 on the laptop goes to >

Mount Hub Ultimate goes to >

QSI

Lodestar x2

7 port USB Hub goes to >

Lightphase Fosuer

USB to Serial GPS

USB to Serial Mount Control

Flipflat with built in USB to Serial

Unihedron

DMK 618

Im left with a single port for some as to be decided goodie.

Startech kit just seems to work. Its a nice change from some makes.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

I might have agreed until I bought their Startech Video Capture lead, worst piece of junk I ever came across. Hardware is OK, but the software drivers supplied (or available anywhere else) are ancient and never updated since Win98 - yet they still sell it as being compatible with a new OS. It isn't. Tried it on 4 different PCs, using Vista-32, Win7-32  and Win7-64, it won't won't work properly on anything. I'm torn between dropping it in the recycling or selling it on, selling might get me some money back but I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone else suffering with this thing. I guess that's where Ebay comes in...

ChrisH

ARGH !!! he 7 port was a failure, its power switch has to be pressed everytime your power it up, totally useless for a remote setup, so i have gone back to the 4 port with a real power switch and had to swapa few things around.

I have however bought a docking bay for the laptop which provides me with 6 more usbs.

Im now

USB Port 1 on the laptop goes to >

Mount Hub Ultimate goes to >

QSI

Lodestar x2

7 port USB Hub goes to >

Lightphase Fosuer

Flipflat with built in USB to Serial

Unihedron with built in USB to Serial

DMK 618

USB 2 goes to a 4 port serial hub, which is needed for dome control, cloud sensor, and mount control.

To complicate things a little I now have the mains plug for the Bench PSU controlled via a USB Power Point, So i can turn it all off at will.

The laptop is also connected to a UPS to cover brown outs and dirty mains more than anything else.

to frustrate me my USB GPS now refuses to work..... but its not essential.

Archived