Explore Scientific Oiii Filter

RedSpot

Hi All,

I've already got a UHC filter but I'm keen on getting an OIII for some of the planetary nebula targets.  I am looking at a 2 inch version for visual use with my newly acquired Omni 150R refractor and my 8 inch Newt.

My intention at the moment is to go for an Astronomik filter but I came across the Explore Scientific OIII filter (http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Explore-Scientific-2--O-III-Nebula-Filter.html) which certainly has the right price.  There are plenty of info and reviews about the other makes of OIII (Lumicon, SW, Orion, Baader, Astronomik etc etc) but can anyone give me some information about the Explore Scientific one?

As always, grateful for info from anyone who has been able to compare it to any other makes.

Stephen

"However, it is when viewing the Veil Nebula that the OIII really shines. From light poluted environments, the Veil is invisible - when the Explore Scientific 2" O-III Nebula Filter is deployed, it reveals itself as if by magic!"

Bold claims! I can't find the Veil from a semi-rural setting, using my OIII in a 12" scope! If it does that, i'll bin this one and buy it!

"However, it is when viewing the Veil Nebula that the OIII really shines. From light poluted environments, the Veil is invisible - when the Explore Scientific 2" O-III Nebula Filter is deployed, it reveals itself as if by magic!"

Bold claims! I can't find the Veil from a semi-rural setting, using my OIII in a 12" scope! If it does that, i'll bin this one and buy it!

The Veil has thus far eluded me with my Skywatcher OIII, mainly through lack of trying, but the Rosette jumped out and said hello to me while using the same filter from the same location. The location wasnt exactly semi-rural, but it also wasnt bright light,big city. I cant wait to use my 8SE and my OIII out here in the new place, which is very semi-rural with truly rural observing locations just minutes walk away.

An O-III is THE filter for the Veil and makes a massive difference. Assuming the ES filter is of decent quality then, with that object at least, the claims are reasonable. Of course it looks even better with the filter from a really dark site but often you have to take what you can get.

The size of the Veil segments may catch some out though. Lowest, widest eyepieces are the order of the day and even then you are often only seeing small sections of the object, depending on the scope being used.

I will be doing some observations with this filter through the nights ahead & aim to compile some useful feedback to this thread.  I have ordered to 2 inch version so my lowest magnification & widest field may be used.  Lets see if in my city suberb "...........the Veil Nebula...............reveals itself as if by magic!"

More realistically though I will be scrutinizing the Dumbbell, Ring & Orion nebula............we will see.

You should get the veil with almost any scope with an oiii

I have a fair bit of lp but it was visible recently (at least the brighter curved section was) in 100mm f4 newt

Cheers Moonshane, I look forward to seeing it for the first time.  I need to read up on the Veil a bit to be honest.  I will be relying on my trusty 254mm F/6.3 dob with a 26mm Nagler.  Maybe the 31mm in a slightly faster scope would be even better,  but I am pretty sure this setup will still reveal some details to me. 

Sorry to be a bit late, but I am a certified Filter-Nut. Alan is right. ES going into the filter business is a new one. As such, buy it if you wish to be a "beta-tester" for this one. And please do give us your findings. I'd be interested to find out where they are getting them from.....

I guess I have my homework to do.

Clear Skies,

Dave

ES going into the filter business is a new one. As such, buy it if you wish to be a "beta-tester" for this one. And please do give us your findings.

Clear Skies,

Dave

I kind of felt confident with the way they are distributed to jump in there.  They come with a serial number and associated test report only specific to each individual filter.  I feel this is plenty of quality control from E.S.   I will see how I get on & report on it.

What would be great would be to see how the ES O-III performs compared to another O-III of similar price. It's when you can compare similarly specced items "back to back" under the same conditions and on the same targets that the subtle differences are noticed. I know thats often difficult to arrange though :undecided:

I've found every UHC and O-III filter I've used has show the Veil Nebula in scopes from 80mm and upwards. Some show a little more than others though. UHC's are usually surpassed on this particular target by O-III's. On other targets though the UHC might deliver a preferrable view.

I will be doing some observations with this filter through the nights ahead & aim to compile some useful feedback to this thread.  I have ordered to 2 inch version so my lowest magnification & widest field may be used.  Lets see if in my city suberb "...........the Veil Nebula...............reveals itself as if by magic!"

More realistically though I will be scrutinizing the Dumbbell, Ring & Orion nebula............we will see.

As promised, some feedback on this filter.  As John mentioned it would be good to compare 2 side by side but I have only one.......& no friends (cough).  So here goes: 

Usefully last nights sky appeared quite transparent ! Here on the outskirts of the city even the fainter stars of magnitude 5.5 or so did not require strain to the naked eye.  They were quite sparkly & clear which is rare  (don't get smug & shrug everyone, that is pretty good here ......unfortunately  :embarrassed:  ).

M57

The Ring nebula appeared quite a bit brighter and more defined against the background, its structure was more 'solid' through the filter, this was a nice contrast against the more ghostly washed out view when seen without the OIII.  The natural view seems to show a more subtle & delicate structure, but its nice to have both in the tool kit. 

M27

From here the Dumbbell always takes on a very washed out appearance (maybe mostly due to the city at work).  The OIII distinctively altered the shape of the remnant, the opaque rounder shape was replaced with the familiar apple core / sand timer shape.  I was pleasantly surprised how heavily the fainter components were rejected compared to how how the more pronounced components were enhanced.  Pretty nice view!  If anything it added something that was previously very difficult to ascertain without the OIII.

The Western Veil 

Centred on the 4.2 magnitude star 52 Cyg, the very faint stretch of NGC6960 was present with the OIII, without it...no chance ! I could not even imagine it let alone detect it.  

Back with the OIII the northern part of the structure that extends towards the star TYC 2687-00801-1 was easier to detect over the eye staining & elusive southern section of the veil.  I found this objects shape more accessible by wobbling the scope, this shifting of the field of view just fractionally in turn shifted the monochrome layer of the veil over the not much (and I really do mean not much!) darker sky and star fields to allow the eye to re-adjust to the revealed outline*.  

*I found this technique useful when viewing the brighter & more compact M1 Crab Nebula with no filter.  Interestingly Burnham's Celestial Handbook discusses how M1 may eventually dilute and resemble the Veil. 

The Eastern Veil

Starting at the star Gienah Cygni, I scanned slowly down & simply concentrated on detecting a shifting block of veil against the star fields. With little effort the arc shape stood out easier than the more difficult NGC6960.  Whether I was seeing just NGC6992 and/or NGC6995 was difficult to be sure of, however by the length I assumed it to be a combination.  

I hope this write up is useful to anyone thinking of buying any OIII filter.  A dark sky site is where I am sure it will really come into its own, but from a light polluted city suburb even a hint 8000 year old explosion 1470 light years away in a 254mm mirror is not bad !  :eek:

Oh and on a lesser note:  The wood lined cigar style box the filter came in is lovely  :laugh:

Archived