Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magic Carpet nebula and a quick tour.

cotterless45

Going through the planetary nebulae in Cygnus tonight, I came across NGC 7027.i was very surprised at how bright it is, much brighter than anything else in the fov at x50. Stepping up the magnification produced signs of a halo at x200. The view was much improved by a UHC filter.

From somewhere comes the name "Magic Carpet Nebula". Certainly suits,http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_7027

I had pleasant views tonight of NGC 7048 , NGC 7026 and NGC 7008 and the blinking NGC 6826 in Cygnus. Then a view of the bright ellipse of NGC 7009 south in Aquarius.

Some super targets even with the Moon arriving.

I was pleased to catch the faint trace of comet Jacques in Cygnus, caught in a lovely star field.

Have a shot of NGC 7027, very surprising.

I had a look at some of the missing Herschel clusters, NGC 6728, a brighter NGC 6828 both in Aquarius. NGC 6874 showing a faint star cloud in Cygnus.

The double cluster looked stunning before the Moon arrived, look for the star " hole" in the middle of NGC 869. Follow the chain up stars up and you'll come across the impressive Stock 2, the "muscle man " cluster.

I tried the two bright elliptical galaxies in Cassiopeia, NGC 185 (+9.2) , part of the M31 group and NGC 147 ( +9.3) , but Moon light won. I'll be back under

Clear skies,

Nick.post-6974-0-86977800-1410562070_thumb.jp

I've looked at the double cluster so many times and never realized that just a bit away was a great HUGE cluster- I just saw the Muscleman tonight :grin:  The large FOV (2 deg in the VX10) of the 30mm ES 82 made this object stand out very well, higher power eyepieces got progressively worse ( too narrow), I'll have to try it in the 120ED too.

Thanks Nick!

Archived