12mm eyepiece advice appreciated

woodmeister

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received and e-mail overnight from Telescope House saying they were now stocking all of them and most were in stock, though as you say a good bit more than the likes of Teleskop Services sell them. It is not really fair after all they are the same items.

Alan.

I received the same mail. The prices!!!!

I was pondering the 30mm 82° but really don't fancy paying getting on for 40% extra for the pleasure of buying from them.

Paul

From what I've seen the ES 82 offers Nagler like performance. A 12mm Delos will be very hard to beat though, great glass, not too much of it and coatings matched to the glass types. Better ergonomics with the Delos too, they are a very comfortable eyepiece. Either eyepiece would be a great choice in widefields.

Paul,

We are drifting from topic somewhat but that is largely my fault, Yes they are more expensive but I don't really think this is their fault, I know FLO tried to deal with ExSc put I undestand came up against a similar barrier, still it is best on to go into something when I for one do not have or know all the facts.

Gerry

I believe ExSc do offer close to Nagler performance in most scopes but I am sure without proof the differences will be more obvious if you were using say an F4 16 inch Dob, Dobs by their very nature are mainly undriven and so objects have to be allowed to drift across the FOV to a large extent, it is then where a Nagler would shine, though I accept many find other eyepieces good enough.

I would suggest if you want to try the ExSc 11mm as an option then use TS over in Gernam, everyone apart from me seems to get excellent service, but that is another story.

Alan

Hi Alan, the Naglers are top EP's for sure, with ES doing a good job copying them. I have a 16mm Nagler T5 and the ES 82 18mm, the coatings are both green and present objects similarly. In an F4 newt I'd be tempted to run a Paracorr regardless of the EP's, and then check their distortions and abberations if any. I have ordered a 15" f4.8 mirror so well see how things compare- unless I sell one first :smiley: My 30mm ES 82 has exceeded my expectations for use with my filters, I love that thing!

I am however, a Televue fan and supporter- for their latest models anyway-Ethos and Delos, oh and the 3-6 Nagler gets grandfathered in too!lol! :smiley:

Off subject again, must report myself. I had the 30mm Meade UWA and I sometimes wonder why I ever sold it. There is no doubt that for everyday use these eyepieces are perfectly good enough whilst the extra bit or going to eleven that Televue offer is very nice to have.

It will be nice to hear about your new scope and the comparisons. I too was buying a new scope but I have stopped myself as I came to the conclusion that buying a large  APO costing a good deal just because money was burning a hole in my pocket was the wrong thing to do.

I am sure, as much as I like and use them many of my eyepieces were bought under the same conditions.

Alan

Hi, just on a possible alternate supply of the ES 82, try 365 astronomy, they appear to be stocking and at good prices too...

Haven't spent much time with my 14 mm but the 11 mm gave me one heck of a wow moment on the orion nebula last year..

Ta

Fozzie

Hi, just on a possible alternate supply of the ES 82, try 365 astronomy, they appear to be stocking and at good prices too...

Haven't spent much time with my 14 mm but the 11 mm gave me one heck of a wow moment on the orion nebula last year..

Ta

Fozzie

Just had a look at these and the prices appear to be superb considering its UK, good find.

Thx for the advice as I am slowly working out which eyepieces I am after.

I would settle for 11mm as I am tempted to get the exsc 82 degree eyepiece. I guess the minimum fov I am looking for is about 60 degrees. I saw the pentax XF's on FLO and wonder how they people rate them.

Just a quick question, how much would a second hand explore scientific 82 degree 11mm eyepiece sell for second hand?

Hi there, this 11mm EXSc82 series is brand new, just in the wrong box: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161412237768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hi there, this 11mm EXSc82 series is brand new, just in the wrong box: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161412237768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Robin. Funnily enough since I saw this earlier and figured I should get if I can get for under £100. Now I am waiting for the delivery of my new Explore scientific 82 degree eyepiece which I hope comes this Friday ready for some weekend observing. I paid £94.90 so very close to what you said John.

Robin. Funnily enough since I saw this earlier and figured I should get if I can get for under £100. Now I am waiting for the delivery of my new Explore scientific 82 degree eyepiece which I hope comes this Friday ready for some weekend observing. I paid £94.90 so very close to what you said John.

That's a very good price, well done!

Archived