Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon EOS 12V adaptor?

Hi All

I have been looking around for a power adaptor for my EOS1000D ... so I can connect to a 12v cigarette lighter type socket.

Do they exist?

I have seen mains powered adaptors, but don't fancy that outside in the dew!

Thanks

Wrap it in a polly bag thats what I do, works fine

I'm far from an electronics expert, but I built my own, following these instructions:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/Canon-dslr-power-supply.html

It looks as good as anything I've seen commercially available, and very cheap!

That is a great article. Thanks for the link.

I already have a mains adaptor and dummy battery, so will have a go at making the DC version described.

Some of the very cheap mains adaptors you get on ebay are very dodgy ... I had one explode and trip the electric in the house..

Fortunately the camera survived...  I should have known better but I only wanted it for the dummy battery...

Peter...

I bought one for an external monitor and it literally exploded after a few hours use. Glad it didn't burn the house down. I now buy second-hand "named" mains adapters of the correct rating and modify the low-voltage end for connecting (as I'm phenomenally tight :smiley:)

Hey Kropster, my fault... i didnt see them on amazon  but here, they have like 20 versions :

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php/language/en/keywords/canon%20eos%2012v%20adapter/suchdas/OK

Astonoshingly, they sell them between 29 and 79 euros!

I guess this one would be the cheapest for your unit, but compare them with your battery- are you using a DRE8?

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7136_12V-external-power-supply-for-your-Canon-EOS-550D--600D--650D----.html

Astonoshingly, they sell them between 29 and 79 euros!

I guess this one would be the cheapest for your unit, but compare them with your battery- are you using a DRE8?

Thanks ubh1966....I am using a DR-E5 adaptor.

I think I will have a bash at making a 'home brew' version. It seems straight forward enough, even for me!

I agree with being cautious with cheapie power supplies. But in this case, I wouldn't be too worried. We're only converting from 12V to 7.5V. It's not mains power.

Also, by its nature, the power supplies we're using don't keep going very long (more's the pity!!!), so in the very unlikely event there's a problem, we're not far away.

The DIY solution didn't require any soldering, just a multimeter to make sure the wires got connected with the correct polarity. I think n total I spend about £3 for the voltage converter, about £2 for a cigarette-plug, and just under £7 for the EOS mains power supply (which I then gutted).

Animaal - ' I wouldn't be too worried. We're only converting from 12V to 7.5V. It's not mains power' - are you sure ???  Put a spanner across the terminals of a car battery to short it and see what happens !!!!  (PS - DON'T DO IT !!! :grin: )

A guy at work recently shorted a 12v car battery with his wedding ring across two switch terminals and degloved his finger - the smell was revolting........................

I'm far from an electronics expert, but I built my own, following these instructions:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/Canon-dslr-power-supply.html

It looks as good as anything I've seen commercially available, and very cheap!

I made one as detailed in the article...... used a cheap DC-DC down convertor from ebay (about £2), cannibalised the mains psu case and DR-E5 battery connector that I already had.

Bingo! A 12V adaptor for my EOS 1000D.

Very easy to make and it works a treat. The voltage can be set with great precision.

No more lost subs when the camera battery fails.

I bought this from amazon for my 1000D ... so far so good ;)

www.amazon.com/Fotga-ACK-E5-DR-E5-Adapter-Coupler/dp/B00C9ZEO4M/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411466911&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=ACK-E5%2C+DR-E5%2C+CA-PS700

Archived