Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BISQUE PARAMOUNT MX+ & SKYFI

Liquid360

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that is what I said... You have a PC that runs TheSkyX and anything can communicate with TheSkyX. Nothing but TheSkyX can communicate with the mount, though, so your idea of replacing the PC is dead in the water :( You ALWAYS need the PC, even for the simplest of slews.

/per

Same thing. "Personal Computer". They run operating systems such as Mac OSX, Linux, DOS, Unix, BSD or Microsoft Windows. The term was invented by IBM. It does not, as per today's common misconception, refer to a personal computer running Windows, but rather to a computational device of reasonable power intended for personal use. I've been in the computer scene too long to be fooled by youngsters using the term "PC" as an equivalent of Microsoft Windows. In fact, my first personal computers ran CP/M, all nine of them (and one was an Apple II which didn't have an operating system at all).

Eat that ;)

/per

I've read your post a few times and while words/and acronyms like OSX, Apple, and even UNIX, the rest of the words remain vague and alien to me. Youngsters? At 43 , I really appreciate that. Anyways, language is ever evolving and never static. Today PC means a Microsoft machine. I was around 8 or so when my parents brought home our Apple II and prior to that had me taking after school programming classes. Today I'm not thankful, but they tried.

I used the winking emojicon in an effort to express a sense of playfulness. I believe we all know the classical terminology.... It's a safe assumption I believe. [emoji6]

Dragon64 + OS-9

Now that was a 'proper computer' :D

I loved my Dragon and in lots of ways it was a superior 8 bit system, they just fumbled the ball graphically, even though the speccy was still pants, CBM got it right from day one and the perddy picturews won the day. :)

to pour on the parafin, my 16gb i7 Mac mini is only usefull as a door wedge, talk about over priced and under performing !!! my i5 win 8.1 tablet runs quicker !

I loved my Dragon and in lots of ways it was a superior 8 bit system, they just fumbled the ball graphically, even though the speccy was still pants, CBM got it right from day one and the perddy picturews won the day. :)

to pour on the parafin, my 16gb i7 Mac mini is only usefull as a door wedge, talk about over priced and under performing !!! my i5 win 8.1 tablet runs quicker !

Hehe I have to admit I have a Mac mini who's sole purpose at the moment is sending updates to no-ip of which it gets bored at that & locks up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nope. Paramount requires software on the PC in order to function, in my opinion the biggest and one of he few drawbacks with that mount.

/per

Well I don't see this as a drawback. Anybody who buys this mount I'm sure will do astro photography as It's too good not to do it. So it is logical that you would need a laptop or PC to down load the image so they somewhat compliment each other. It's a fantastic mount and you now have limited capability to control the mount with your apple device through the Wi-FI sky module so that limitation for less advanced field use has been addressed.

Yes, there will be a computer of some kind there anyway, but the whole concept of using a desktop operating system to control tracking over USB seems a bit bold. TheSKyX is multi-platform written in the Qt environment, so it will not be optimal on any operating system.

My personal preference is mounts that offer full functionality on their own, leaving the computer to control the large scale things. But that's me, and I am a bit of a mount buff ;) I use two 10Micron mounts, and like all 10Micron ones they come with full absolute encoders and all the modeling, pointing and tracking features of TPoint and Protrack built into the mount itself, so all the imaging is done unguided.

As for WiFi... I can control my mounts from my i-device as well. For the rare occasions that I do I use Skysafari Pro. As my mounts are on the LAN of the observatory and my home respectively, they are reachable from any device on the same network, like my phone or pad connected via WiFi. It works very well, actually. The mounts can be equipped with a WiFi module if that should be desirable. I use wired Ethernet instead as I am a bit old school in that sense.

/per

May I suggest that, to avoid confusion in nomenclature, we use a common term for all personal calculating devices. I suggest one used by the late Paula Yates to describe, unjustly, the satyrical journalist Ian Hislop. 'Sperm of the Devil...'

:evil: lly

With the SkyX. I've yet to ever have any desire to operate without a computer. What was so appealing was how seamlessly hardware and software work. It's a level of integration I've never come close to experiencing with a windows machine. It makes for a highly satisfying experience of which I've yet to see elsewhere. My QSI 683WSG operates just as seamlessly. My days of operating for a visual experience ended and AP requires a laptop which I'd prefer to integrated. To each his own right?

Archived