Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which camera?

gary1968

OK, so I'm gonna buy a Compact Digital Camera. I know I have to get 1 with full manual controls for afocal astro imaging, with as long exposure as possible. I'd also like one with either remote shutter or a programable shutter, if such a thing exists, as for obvious reasons I dont want to be touching the camera while imaging.I'm getting away with it because I have sold it to SWMBO that the hols are coming and our current camera is carp.... :D Oh, and please dont suggest an SLR as she wont have that.... :nono:

My question is which one would you guys recomend? Are the afocal brackets used to position the the camera at the EP any good?

Cheers,

Gary.

Now, if I could only punt more of them pier tops that would speed the whole camera purchase thing up...... :blob:

A good question - I have been pondering this for a long time. I reckon the ideal camera should have (as well as full manual control):

Remote Control (essential-ish as tyou have to do so many short exposures)

Threaded lens (by far the best way off attaching the camera)

30s+ max exposure (my current Olympus 2020z has 16s, which is OK, but a bit more would be nice)

Fast lens (as the effective lens apertures in compacts are tiny, so usually do not cover the whole eyepiece exit pupil -hence the lower F number the better)

Means of turning off noise reduction (else your stars might vanish!)

RAW (not essential, but nice)

(plus low dark signal, but you cannot know this in advance).

Unfortuanately I have not yet found a camera which has all these! Threaded lenses and remote controls seem very rare, although some Canons and Nikons have the former. The latest Panasonics have a 60s 'Starry Sky mode which sounds nice (anyone know if this does an in-camrea dark subtraction?).

http://www.dpreview.com is a good place to check out various camera features.

NigelM

Fuji S6500FD was my weapon of choice before moving to DSLR.

It could handle RAW as well as 30 second exposure and ISO up to 1600 I believe.

It was not remote operated but I used a shutter release cable and a shutter release cable bracket which I may be willing to part with if people are in the market for one.

Hey guys thanks for the info.

I quite like the look of the Fuji S6500FD Beamer suggested. I take it I cannot get an adaptor for the lens to connect directly to the EP. I would have to use one of the bracket type thingymabob's.

Not totally decided yet though as I also like the Cannon A610but it does not have the same 30sec exposure of the Fuji, but I can get an adaptor to connect it straight onto the EP.

Decisions decisions.......................................

Gary

You can get an adapter to attach the S6500FD to the eyepiece.

The adapter required is known as the Digi-T or Adap-T and then the relevant stepper ring to get up to the 58mm lens of the camera.

A google search should solve the issue.

So, does the lens screw off then Beamer?

Gary

Ah, right, so there is a very fine thread right at the front of the lens, the digi t adator screws into there.... :D

Now I might be interested in that remote shutter release you mentioned earlier. Is it a cable or an electronic one?

Gary

Hi Gary

The fuji looks a good choice, so much so that I browsed for prices. Tesco sells them new for £145.00 and Fuji offers refurbished models for £120.00, but you'd probably get them cheaper still 2nd hand.

HTH, Martin

I thought it looked the best Martin, and I like the Fuji refurbished price too............ :hello1:

Need to speak nicely to SWMBO, starting my sentence along the lines of 'Oh darling.....................Fuji.................only......£119.99'...... :D

Gary

Gary,i managed to get a Canon350d from the Canon ebay outlet for £218,there are some great bargains to be had on that site,the cameras are"refurbished" but all that means is they were used as demo models in a store or something simple like a bashed box,so you can pick them up cheaper than some compact cameras.

You know it makes sense. :wink:

The shutter release is a cable one which attaches via a bracket to the camera.

I may even be tempted to sell the Fuji 6500FD - I will consult with the wife first to see what she says - she did always like the camera and it has been to many places with us.

I have upgraded to the Prime Focus 400D route so...

It is practically brand new in the box.

Archived