Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I would still prefer the C8 over the 200L as the C8 issues you describe can be addressed. The open tube of the Vixen will mean that the primary will eventually need recoating for which the mirror will need removing, not a job for the faint hearted on this system.  :smiley:

Thanks for that. I've since done a bit of research and there has been a lot of debate on this issue - the general consensus seems to come out in favour of the C8. Sorry for the diversion - hope this helps the OP.

Rob

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A c8 has been on my list of got to get one sometime scopes. As near to a general purpose scope for your subjects as you can get Jules. The f10 is long enough for good lunar and planetary and with a 63 reducer plus a nice 40-50mm fl ep you can go a bit wider as well for those moments you forget yourself and point it at a dso:-)

As mentioned Jules, beware of the Halleys Comet era ones as the qa was iffy due to the numbers they churned out at the time.

I was most impressed with an old bkack Celestar I colimated for someone the other month, optically great, fork and tripod left a bit to be desired though.

One day I shall get an old orange tube c8 no doubt

Dont cull the Tal, you will regret it

A c8 has been on my list of got to get one sometime scopes. As near to a general purpose scope for your subjects as you can get Jules. The f10 is long enough for good lunar and planetary and with a 63 reducer plus a nice 40-50mm fl ep you can go a bit wider as well for those moments you forget yourself and point it at a dso:-)

As mentioned Jules, beware of the Halleys Comet era ones as the qa was iffy due to the numbers they churned out at the time.

I was most impressed with an old bkack Celestar I colimated for someone the other month, optically great, fork and tripod left a bit to be desired though.

One day I shall get an old orange tube c8 no doubt

Dont cull the Tal, you will regret it

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but focal ratio is largely immaterial visually. An F/10 scope with 10mm EP gives the same lunar views as an F/5 with a 5mm. Wide field views are more restricted, but I can get 1.34 deg true FOV with my 42mm and 2" visual back. This is generally better than using a focal reducer (whch allows only 1.25" EPs). The latter does work (I used that for years) but the views with a 2" EP are better. The FOV is big enough to fit the double cluster into one FOV, so most DSOs fit comfortably in the FOV. F/10 does allow use of cheaper EPs, of course

Yes agree the FOV is generally acceptable for most DSOs with a 2" diagonal and EPs - there is not much that doesn't fit in, and after using a 2" diagonal on my C8 I would never go back to the 1.25" version, feels very lightweight in comparison.  Now must go shopping at Kelling for a lower power EP than my 32mm given the feedback above

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but focal ratio is largely immaterial visually. An F/10 scope with 10mm EP gives the same lunar views as an F/5 with a 5mm. Wide field views are more restricted, but I can get 1.34 deg true FOV with my 42mm and 2" visual back. This is generally better than using a focal reducer (whch allows only 1.25" EPs). The latter does work (I used that for years) but the views with a 2" EP are better. The FOV is big enough to fit the double cluster into one FOV, so most DSOs fit comfortably in the FOV. F/10 does allow use of cheaper EPs, of course

No probs Michael, I was only relating to what I used to use on my C11 some years back, (pre invention of super wide fov eyepieces) following on from a discussion me and Jules had re him not really doing DSOs. Im trying to encourage him to try a few :grin: You never know he may like it :grin:

No probs Michael, I was only relating to what I used to use on my C11 some years back, (pre invention of super wide fov eyepieces) following on from a discussion me and Jules had re him not really doing DSOs. Im trying to encourage him to try a few :grin: You never know he may like it :grin:

Absolutely. I thought planets were really all I could do from a suburban garden. After starting to hunt down DSOs more systematically, and over 800 DSOs under the belt later, I just LOVE DSO viewing through my C8, even from my garden.

Ha ha, i like some M31, M45, M42, that might be about me lot though

I got a C8 last month for the same reason. My 4" refractor is nice on planets but I missed the aperture for DSOs from my suburban garden. As space is at a premium for a big newt the C8 seemed like the perfect match (Was thinking about the C9.25 as well, but the increased size plus longer cool down makes it impractical for the short time I have now and then to pop out)

Swapped the C8 for an Edge Hd as I wasn't to impressed with the off axis performance of my XW 30 (I use a manual alt az mount so off axis is more important to me than It would have been with tracking)

My mind is till not 100% settled between the sct and a potential 10" dob, but the sct is just so small and handy :)

Had some good views of the ring nebula, Andromeda and M13 so definitely worth adding it to my 4" scope.

I have to say a big thank you to all that have posted on this thread, i may well get a C8, and i am in the process of thinning a few scopes out, but i might stick with four, the 150 pro mak, the TAL100, the 150p ds and of course the mighty little Vixen...........time will tell, i would have to wait for a C8 to come up on the used market, could be a long wait  

Archived