NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best software for MacBook Pro

WillG

I have a MacBook Pro and don't really want to have to get another windows based laptop. Is there any software out there that is as good as windows has? 

I've seen software that you can set to control your camera, with say an exposure time and an amount of photos, and then a different exposure time and another amount. So you can leave it to it for hours and it will change the settings on the camera. Which is obviously very handy in deed! 

Does anyone know of Mac software that will be able to do similar things? Or shall I look into windows bootcamp or parallels to try and run the windows based programmes? 

And also the post processing software. I have Pixelmator, is that going to be up to it? Or do I need to take the dive and get Photo Shop? 

I use a MacBook to do all my processing - Nebulosity 3 for stacking and Photoshop for tweaking. However I use a windows laptop for all the camera and mount control stuff. All that sort of software seems to be for windows and is certainly best supported on windows. I am also much happier about leaving a £200 laptop outside rather than my beloved MacBook!

There isn't a lot but more and more cameras and astro software is becoming available for Mac.  Currently, I use parallel to run win 7 on my Macbook and my iMac. Do all my image capture and stacking on the win side then process my stacked image on the Mac side with Lightroom and Photoshop.  

I use a MacBook to do all my processing - Nebulosity 3 for stacking and Photoshop for tweaking. However I use a windows laptop for all the camera and mount control stuff. All that sort of software seems to be for windows and is certainly best supported on windows. I am also much happier about leaving a £200 laptop outside rather than my beloved MacBook!

I'm thinking about going the same route.  My wife has a cheap and I mean cheap dell laptop she uses for her sewing machine.  I think I'll commandeer it and use it for my long nights outside.    

I'm thinking about going the same route.  My wife has a cheap and I mean cheap dell laptop she uses for her sewing machine.  I think I'll commandeer it and use it for my long nights outside.

And turn your astro images into fabric designs...

M42 T-shirts? Star-cluster jumpers?

I am very interested in this. Last week I bought a MacBook Pro to replace both my ageing Dell desk top and my windows laptop that has developed a faulty screen.

My plan is to use Parallels and Windows 7 to run the Windows software I need to run my imaging and guiding set up.

And turn your astro images into fabric designs...

M42 T-shirts? Star-cluster jumpers?

Ha...the dell not the sewing machine :laugh: ...She could do it though. If I gave her an image she could figure out how to put it on a shirt.  

I dual boot with the Mac to run Win (if I really really really have to run a Win prog!) I find parallels doesnt always behave esp USB assigning. But that could well just be me! I rarely use a laptop tbh. Remote timer for the camera is more straighforward. Laptop only comes into play for panetary vid recording.

P

For planetary image capture I am writing this: http://www.openastroproject.org/

It runs on Linux and OSX and supports cameras such as the ZWO ASI range, the TIS cameras (and the Celestron models based on the same hardware), the QHY5L-II and QHY5.

The next release should be soon and have some additional features to make it easier to use on small screens as well as support for UVC-compatible webcams such as the MIcrosoft Lifecam.

James

I have a 120MM-S here on my desk and the next release will support it and the 120MC-S.  Mostly it's just a change of the ZWO library, but there were a couple of UI changes that make it a bit nicer to use as well.  All the work is done already in fact.  Mostly the date of the next release is now governed by when I've had enough of looking at my list of things to do :)

In many respects the 120MM-S is much better on the MacBook Pro (mine, at least) than the 120MM, as it doesn't need any messing about to resolve USB compatibility issues.

James

Archived