Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sun's Orientation using different telescopes

Wonderful, Mark. Good on you for taking the trouble to get this absolutely nailed down once and for all.

And Joves, I do understand the challenges posed by Norf and Souf on planet Earth. But I'm so relieved to have got it sorted out for myself - 'cos my head WAS burning!

All that said, isn't it great that we can all enjoy the spectacle that is our star? Whether it's up down or round about.

I'm off back out again now ...

Couldn't have put it better myself, Gordon!

I've just viewed the sun through my binoviewer and 24 Pans for the first time... WOW is all I can say! Absolute game changer for me!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't have put it better myself, Gordon!

I've just viewed the sun through my binoviewer and 24 Pans for the first time... WOW is all I can say! Absolute game changer for me!!

Which binoviewer are you using ?, can't see one in your copious list of equipment,  planning on getting one soon.

Dave 

Thanks Mark

As I have a pst, a hershel wedge, and a glass reflector filter this really help me to wrap my head around the differences in orientation.

I'm going to print this off for sure...

Regards

Bob

• 7 months later...

Decided to produce a better version so that it could be printed. This copy has the degrees defined so that when reporting a prominence you can give a better location for others to view. If you go to the 'Tilting Sun' software you will notice that the angles change over time so to get an exact position use this software. Today 26/07/14 the Sun's central line is marked at approx 100 to 280 degrees not 90 to 270.

attachicon.gifSun Orientation.jpg

I acknowledge the Tilting Sun version 3 software in producing this diagram

So does the bottom image of this graph apply to me whilst looking through my ls60tha?

wishing you sunny days.

So does the bottom image of this graph apply to me whilst looking through my ls60tha?

wishing you sunny days.

I am not sure. I looked through a Lunt 50 at SGLX and it was different to my PST. I would guess that its the same as a refractor with a diagonal so the bottom image.

I suppose the best way to determine the orientation is to plot the current sunspots and do a sketch and put it on this thread.

Archived